[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Saxon for windows?

Subject: Re: Saxon for windows?
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:23:32 -0400
saxon for windows
The XSL-as-web-service is intriguing but I do have some concerns about a command-line processor. The comment George makes about the JVM startup overhead can be extended to most things run from the command line - there will be system-related activity that has little to do with the work that will be incurred each time. If this is a concern for XSLT the processor can be properly hosted within the web server. Saxon is ideal for this as it is Java based. It would be fairly straightforward to create a web service for this purpose that could be dropped into a J2EE container and run on whatever kind of platform you like (Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac, etc.), and it doesn't have to be the same OS as the client. With Saxon's support for pipelining transformations some of those concerns could be addressed as well. My main concern with the web service approach in general is the amount of data that would need to be transmitted across the network. That may be the real limiting factor in this.

Barry

George Cristian Bina wrote:

Hi Pieter,

> It's actually quite simple. I'm using a process class which allows me to
> capture StdOut and StdErr, and that runs a process in the background. The
> background process can be anything that runs via a command line, and the
> best is that it runs completely independent (in Windows this just means on
> another thread). While threads compete with each other for CPU time, when
> the process runs, the main thread just waits for its output, which means
> that the child thread can use all CPU available, thus maximum performance is
> guaranteed (under normal circumstances and no other tasks running assumed).

What about the java start up time? You will add that at each run.
And if you run the transformation only once then I think you will not get the best of Java either - I always hear that if you want to measure how much time a stylesheet takes for processing you should not look at the times of the first runs.

My 2 cents...

Regards,
George
---------------------------------------------------------------------
George Cristian Bina
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.