[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

XSLT use cases; data-centric to document-centric tran

Subject: XSLT use cases; data-centric to document-centric transformations
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:23:40 +0100
xslt use case
Hi,

recently I've evaluated some XSLT WYSIWYG-editors, with focus on the code they create. While comparing the tools, I identified three common use cases, how XSLT can be used (of course there are more use cases possible):
1) document to document transformations
2) data to data transformations
3) data to document transformations

A good example for 1) might be DocBook: there is a well structured XML and a (very complex) XSLT which creates the result XML (e.g. FO).

Use case 2) is more about conversion between two different data formats: for example, there exist a whole bunch of schemas representing a person. So XSLT can map between two of these formats. There are some implementations out there, like Altova MapForce.

But use case 3) has a problem: in my opinion XSLT is not really intended to transform data-centric XML into a document-centric XML. Of course it can be done, but the programming style is more imperative (for-each) than template based (apply-template). There are a lot of tools, which try to solve this data-document-transformation e.g. Altova StlyeVision or StylusStudio XSLT Designer. But I think they don't succeed because the generated code is mainly inside only one very big template with imperative statements.

Coming to an end, I have two questions:
- Does anybody agree/disagree to my classification?
- How can I handle use case 3)? To my mind it would be best to convert a data-centric XML into a well structured documen-centric XML and then apply a XSLT stylesheet.

Best regards, Peter Gerstbach

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.