[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Q: to Jeni Tennison regarding your APress titles..

Subject: Re: Q: to Jeni Tennison regarding your APress titles...
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:19:52 -0800
tennison quotes
Hey Jeni,

Sorry for the late reply! Was out yesterday for the holiday event here on the other side of the pond. :)

Jeni Tennison wrote:

Hi David,

You mean "foo[number(@bar)]" (which selects the <foo> element children
of the current node whose bar attributes match their position amongst
other <foo> elements within the current node) or, more feasibly,
"foo[number(current()/@bar)]" (which selects the nth <foo> element
child of the current node where n is the value of the bar attribute of
the current node).

Hmmm... I'm not sure I understand. The way I interpreted what David Carlisle had stated was that, for example, if @bar had the value of "5" that you could use then use the number function to tell the XSLT processor to use the literal number value of @bar to determine the position of an element in relation to the document order of an element in relation to its siblings. Is that how it is or did I misinterpret what David was saying?

Right -- that's part of why I tend to advise people to use matching
templates with modes rather than named templates: with a matching
template, you have some hope of knowing what the context node is by
looking at the pattern, with a named template you can't tell without
finding the call to that template, which makes debugging that much
harder.

Ah yes, very good advice. In fact I have found that the only time I even use named templates anymore is for recursively seeking out particular content within a string and processing it further or as a way to specify the number of times the named template should be called and the instruction set processed before moving forward. And even then I try to make minimal use of this type of processing for the simple fact that if used in the wrong situation you can find yourself spending a lot of CPU cycles and bottleneck an entire application because of it.

I'll certainly try to pop in.

That would be great! I know that we would all appreciate any further insight you have on particular topics. We are going to use Dr. Kay's XSLT and XPath (1.0 and 2.0) Programmer References as a way of further referencing a topic. But to have your insight to further understand a topic of interest would be invaluable and an outstanding asset to the project.

No; a link to Amazon is fine.

Great, I will leave it as is then.

Thanks again Jeni! I've added a couple of entries on the site today, one which is specific to copyrights and the policy I will be implementing when it comes to anything that could be construed as a copyright infringement. If you have a chance to take a look at the policy and have anything additional you would like for me to consider, please let me know. The last thing I want to have happen is to infringe upon copyrights and will be making a specific effort to not use the literal text from the book beyond simple quotes and, of course, all of these will be properly marked and attributed. I will be asking for those who make comments to follow these same guidelines and I will be monitoring conformance, deleting anything that could even possibly be considered an infringement. If at anytime you see anything on the site that I have missed that you or APress feel a bit uneasy about please let me know and I will make sure it is taken off the site immediatelly!

Cheers!

<M:D/>

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison
http://www.jenitennison.com/

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.