[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: XSLT 1.0: Grouping Adjacent Elements in Embedded

Subject: Re: XSLT 1.0: Grouping Adjacent Elements in Embedded Lists
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 18:30:26 -0500
xslt not preceding
Joe,

I haven't tested this, but I think you're almost there.

At 03:21 PM 11/4/2004, you wrote:
I'm pretty sure I have to edit this part to account for the case when preceding-sibling is <EM_OL_LI>

<xsl:if test="not(preceding-sibling::*[1][self::OL_LI])">
              <p>
                 <ol>
                    <xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="li"/>
                 </ol>
              </p>
           </xsl:if>

But my attempts have been fruitless.

I think you're correct, though. Or to refine slightly: it's not the special case of an OL_LI that has a preceding EM_OL_LI, but rather that the *first* OL_LI in the group is the special case.

That is, you want this kick-off (the creation of the p and ol wrappers and the initiation of the "walk" you perform to occur for the first OL_LI, but no others.

This would be a simple matter of changing your test to:

<xsl:if test="not(preceding-sibling::OL_LI)">
  <p>
    <ol>
    </ol>
  </p>

which is to say "if there's no OL_LI before this one, start my list" instead of "if the immediately preceding sibling is not an OL_LI, start my list".

Now, if your lists aren't wrapped at all, but are completely flat and appear mixed in with other elements (such as paragraphs or whatever) you might need a test that says "if the immediately preceding sibling is not an OL_LI or an EM_OL_LI, start my list". That would be

<xsl:if test="not(preceding-sibling::*[1][self::OL_LI|self::EM_OL_LI])">
  <p>
    <ol>
    </ol>
  </p>

And if someone could explain to me the difference between [self::OL_LI] and [OL_LI] that would be an added educational bonus. Thanks!

"OL_LI" in XPath is short for "child::OL_LI", so the difference here is the same as the difference between [self::OL_LI] (the predicate tests true for context nodes that are OL_LI elements) and [child::OL_LI] (the predicate tests true for context nodes that have OL_LI children).

The expression "*[self::X|self::Y]" returns a child element ("*" being short for "child::*") that is either an X or a Y (the predicate returns a union of the set of X elements that are the context node and the set of Y elements that are the context node -- i.e. the context node if it's an X or a Y, nothing if it's something else).

I hope this helps,
Wendell

====================================================================== Wendell Piez mailto:wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com 17 West Jefferson Street Direct Phone: 301/315-9635 Suite 207 Phone: 301/315-9631 Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in SGML and XML ======================================================================

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.