[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: union vs. "or" vs. contains?

Subject: Re: union vs. "or" vs. contains?
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:23:13 -0700
xsl name
Wendell Piez wrote:
At 12:05 PM 10/20/2004, Rob wrote:

Wendell Piez wrote:

Whatever I do, I want to keep processing completely controlled by the configuration file.

Maybe someone on this list who knows Ant better than I do (it's on my list!) can comment on how Ant (a Java build framework) could query a configuration file to determine which stylesheet to call when a job is invoked. A poor man's version of the same (though of course Ant is free) could use a batch file to run a transform on your config file, to create another batch file (in which the delegation could be managed), and then execute it. In other words, these things can be done.

I haven't followed this thread too closely but in ant you can use 'input' to allow the user to enter data at the command line. For example:

<input
  message="Enter an XSL file name:"
  addproperty="xsl.name"/>

<xslt
  in="source.xml"
  out="result.html"
  style="${xsl.name}"/>

Ah, that's nice.

I presume it also wouldn't be hard to get a value for xsl.name by querying into an XML config document?

Sure. You can use the XmlProperty task to load properties from a well formed props-like file:

<root>
  <properties>
    <foo>bar.xsl</foo>
  </properties>
</root>

which is roughly equivalent to this Java property file:

root.properties.foo = bar.xsl

or
<xslt
  in="source.xml"
  out="result.html"
  style="${root.properties.foo}"/>

Of course, you could also load the config into the transformation to find the XSL template name to call.

Or you could transform the config file to an ant build file. You can also use/create an XMLCatalog for custom resolution. You can also use a validate task to ensure your content is valid according to some schema.

Ant is wonderful :)

or simply doing some kind of conditional testing to provide for a mapping of labels to stylesheets,

This gets tricky in ant, but can be done using javascript or some scripting language that can be brought into ant (but it is kind of like using extensions in XSL).

or simply

<input
  message="Which format would you like?"
  addproperty="format"/>

<xslt
  in="source.xml"
  out="result.html"
  style="${format}.xsl"/>

sure -- much more user friendly :)

best,
-Rob

Cheers, Wendell

====================================================================== Wendell Piez mailto:wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com 17 West Jefferson Street Direct Phone: 301/315-9635 Suite 207 Phone: 301/315-9631 Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in SGML and XML ======================================================================

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.