[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: XML style selected by browser language setting?

Subject: Re: XML style selected by browser language setting?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:03:52 -0400
jscript browser language
MSXML3 supports calling JScript and VBScript from the stylesheet, although that does make the process browser specific (also browser version specific). A better option might be to determine the language in a script first and pass that into the stylesheet as a parameter. That should work with Mozilla as well as IE.

Barry

Andrew Welch wrote:

I think your only option here is to use clientside script to perform the
transform, and then pass in the language setting as a parameter.  As
it's clientside in IE you will be using msxml3 (unless you use script,
in which case you could use msxml4 if it's available), and I don't think
that has an extention function to obtain the langauge setting.

Visit

http://www.w3schools.com/xsl/xsl_client.asp

For some tutorial on clientside transforms.

cheers
andrew

This is what I am trying to achieve without much success so far:

On a local harddrive or network (so there is no web server involved) the user will point his file browser at some xml file. The xml file will reference an xsl stylesheet like this:

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="Stylesheet.xsl"?>

My aim is for the stylesheet to find out the language setting of the user's browser. I have tried JavaScript navigator.language. While I managed to show the language setting in the browser window, what I really want, is to select language dependent style info, like keywords, data format, etc., based on the language setting. So, if my xml file contains something like this:

<Distance>100</Distance>

With a browser language setting of German this might automatically be displayed as:

Entfernung: 100 km

and with English-US as:

Distance: 62 miles

My problem is not having multiple stylesheets achieving this, or using external files with the language dependent info, the problem is the automatic selection of the proper styling based on the browser setting.

I do not want to have the user having to select a language by some on-screen mechanism. This only has to work in Internet Explorer 6.0, but if this also works for other browsers that would be even better.

Since I am relatively new to the combination of xsl and scripting I would appreciate an answer with foolproof examples that I can understand.

--+------------------------------------------------------------------ XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list To unsubscribe, go to: http://lists.mulberrytech.com/xsl-list/ or e-mail: <mailto:xsl-list-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> --+--

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.