[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Problem with rendering of &#160

Subject: Re: Problem with rendering of &#160
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:43:40 +0100
illegal character 160
Thanks Tom.

I'm pretty sure it's just the Windows specific characters that are causing the problem - and aren't encoded properly.
(It was just one or two specific characters producing the errors.
If I deleted these - then everything worked OK.

As I said before - I naively expected a totally-MS processing stream to produce something that MS ADO was happy with.
It looks like the adPersistADO option has a false encoding expectation which is not enforced
and just acts as a bolt-on step at the end - rather than a proper attempt to produce a well-formed XML document.

The only full solution I could think of was to check every record for legal / illegal characters (once I had established what these were)
and convert everything before persisteing.
But that would have taken a ridiculous amount of time.
Although I found a few MS KNowledgebase articles that seemed to say that was exactly what you had to do.

I have destroyed the problems files (so can't recheck exactly what the characters were encoded as)
and told users not to enter anything they can't type on a keyboard.

I wonder if Access 2003 will produce the same problem - or whether it is more XML compatible?

Passin, Tom wrote:

I have a similar (and maybe related) problem.

I am using a Perl CGI script on an IIS server with ADO and MSXML. I perform a query on a (currently MS Access) database containing 'memo' [code snipped]
I get an error as the XML is not well formed - containing illegal characters from the 'memo' field
(one of the ones I found was rendered as a bullet 'blob' in MS Access).

You should check to see what the characters involved are. If, for example, the Access database contains CP-1252 (Windows-specific) characters, which is not uncommon, they will come out all wrong in iso-8859-1 or utf-8. So you need to find out whether the problem is that the declared encoding of the output does not match the actual encoding (like utf-16 instead of utf-8), or whether it is just those characters that aren't encoded or escaped properly.

Other than that, someone else will have to help with encoding issues
with ADO and perl, because I am an innocent in these areas.

Cheers,

Tom P

-- Datalucid Limited 8 Eileen Road South Norwood London SE25 5EJ / tel :0208-239-6810 mob: 0794-725-9760 email: mike.trotman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx / UK Co. Reg: 4383635 VAT Reg.: 798 7531 60

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.