[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: JSR 206 (JAXP 1.3) Public Draft

Subject: Re: JSR 206 (JAXP 1.3) Public Draft
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 08:26:27 -0800
transformerfactory.seturiresolver
Henry Zongaro wrote:

Hello,

A public review draft of JAXP 1.3 [1] was recently issued under the Java Community Process: JSR 206. The public review period ends January 15. I would encourage users and developers of Xalan-Java to take a look, and submit any comments they might have.

Thanks,

Henry
[1] http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/review/jsr206/index.html

I have used URIResolvers quite a bit in my projects. I have also tried to make my code use all the popular jaxp XSL processors. It has been a sad experience because the way they are implemented differ from each other (even xalan and XSLTC differ, as I have explained on the lists here in the past). This new spec does little to clarify things.

Under Transformer.getURIResolver() it says:

"Get an object that will be used to resolve URIs used in document(), etc."

What does 'etc' mean?

Under Transformer.setURIResolver it says:

"If the resolver argument is null, the URIResolver value will be cleared, and the default behavior will be used."

Does this mean that if a URIResolver was set on the TransformerFactory, it would fallback to it? Does this mean you need to call the set method with a null to get the default (factory's resolver)?

In the TransformerFactory.getURIResolver it says:

"Get the object that is used by default during the transformation to resolve URIs used in document(), xsl:import, or xsl:include."

So if you get your Transformer from a TransformerFactory which one resolves xsl:include/import (confused over the use of 'etc' above))?

In the TransformerFactory.setURIResolver it says:

"Set an object that is used by default during the transformation to resolve URIs used in xsl:import, or xsl:include."

This makes no mention of document() as mentioned in TransformerFactory.getURIResolver.

I think the spec should clearly define the behavior of setURIResolver for both interfaces. IMHO it should work like this:

- if a resolver is set on the factory it is used for xsl:import/include
- if a resolver is *not* set on the factory the base URI of the XSL is used to resolve the import/include'd XSL relative to the base URI
- if a resolver is set on the transformer it is used for document()
- if a resolver is *not* set on the transformer the base URI of the XSL is used to resolve a relative XML

what do you think?

best,
-Rob

------------------------------------------------------------------
Henry Zongaro      Xalan development
IBM SWS Toronto Lab   T/L 969-6044;  Phone +1 905 413-6044
mailto:zongaro@xxxxxxxxxx

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.