[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Measuring the (byte) size of an XSL output chain on th

Subject: Measuring the (byte) size of an XSL output chain on the fly
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:06:31 +0100
measuring chain size
Hi all -

Run into an interesting problem which I hope somebody might have a few ideas about. I don't remember anything like this being discussed or documented. I'll be checking the wapforum and related sites in the meantime.

I am planning to transform some existing content into WML (wireless markup) from a sequential XML source using XSLT (rather than DOM). The WML browser targets have limitations on the size of content which can be delivered, about 1500-1800 bytes uncompressed.

I would like to retain the simplicity of doing this transformation using an XSL stylesheet. However, I am not aware of any functions which can determine the output result size, in bytes, of a set of nodes. This is not a question about counting the input bytes, rather I want to determine if I can count the number of bytes in a result set as it is transformed.

I envisage using a simple for-each loop, and checking before each iteration if the result size exceeds the limiting value I put into a param in the stylesheet. If the result size is within a certain range of the limit, I would close the WML 'deck' and exit the stylesheet.

So - has anybody got a good idea how I could do this ?

Thanks in advance -
Regards - Neil Smith.

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.