[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: backwards tree-traversal algorithm?

Subject: Re: backwards tree-traversal algorithm?
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:59:18 -0400
tree traversal algorithm
On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 03:54:25PM +0100, Andrew Welch wrote:
> just use the ancestor::* axis
> 
> <xsl:for-each select="ancestor::*">
>   <xsl:value-of select="name()"/>
> </xsl:for-each/>
> 
> I bet you are kicking yourself...

:-] yup!  thank you, all who replied.

since i am doing (i believe it is called) "push-based" processing rather than pull, how would i specify which node is my starting node? 

neither
	<xsl:for-each select="$ancestor::$current">
nor
	<xsl:for-each select="$current/$ancestor::*">
worked.

after seeing how simple the above was, i am thinking i could do something similar to what you guys recommended (read: smarter than what i'm doing now) for my initial step of locating the "current" node.

i make document() calls to an xml file "dirs.xml" containing an xml representation of the directory structure where the source document is located. the reason that i want to iterate over the ancestor nodes is that i am doing a "breadcrumbs" sort of thing, where i want to show what the progression of parent nodes was in the tree.

at transformation time, the stylesheet gets a set of parameters from the command line: $parent0, $parent1, $parent2, etc. which contain the directory names of the preceding directories, and a $depth param which contains the depth of the file in the structure, eg.

sab sheet.xsl /foo/bar/baz/file.xml $depth=3 $parent0=foo $parent1=bar $parent3=baz $depth=3

i then use those parameters to create a nodeset variable pointing to the node within dirs.xml which corresponds to the location of the source document in the filesystem.

eg. i have a variable called $current, defined as follows:

<xsl:variable name="current">
  <xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="$depth=1"><xsl:copy-of select="document($d)/root/section" /></xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="$depth=2"><xsl:copy-of select="document($d)/root/section[@id=$parent0]/section" 
    <xsl:when test="$depth=3"><xsl:copy-of select="document($d)/root/section[@id=$parent0]/section[@id=$parent1]/section" 
		<xsl:otherwise> no logic coded for this level of hierarchy </xsl:otherwise>
  </xsl:choose>
</xsl:variable>

this obviously seems very crude because it puts a strict upper bound on how deep the hierarchy can go, and it's really redundant.  but when i initially passed in the location path as a string, eg.

sab sheet.xsl /foo/bar/baz/file.xml $location=/foo/bar/baz/file.xml

and tried to turn $location into an xpath expression, i fell on my face because it's not possible to construct xpath on fly in XSL.

jm3 / john manoogian III / jm3@xxxxxxx / http://jm3.net

> > > http://jm3.net/linkworld < < <

XSL-List info and archive:  http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.