[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Bi-Di Algorithm Control

Subject: Bi-Di Algorithm Control
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:52:02 -0500
bi di
I'm generating index entries for Arabic documents (using XSL Formatter 2.3) and I'm running into a problem with the how the bi-di algorithm is being applied. I can solve the problem by adding a bidi-override element to the output FO but that solution is not ideal because it would mean adding markup to the input XML document, which I would like to avoid.

Here is a typical example:
<fo:block-container writing-mode="rl-tb">
<fo:block >Arabic English1 English2<fo:leader leader-length="1em">123</fo:block>
</fo:block-container>

The desired presentation result is:

123 English1 English2 cibarA

But what I get from XSL Formatter is:

English1 English2 123 cibarA

That is, the "<fo:leader>123" is taken as part of the left-to-right sequence, which I think is correct application of the Unicode bi-di algorithm.

I'm wondering if there is a Unicode control character of some sort that I can interject into the output to end the recognition of the left-to-right text (as though a normal Arabic character occured after the English text)? I looked through the Unicode database as presented by Unipad but I didn't see anything that looked like what I want.

I guess another question would be does FO define any markup that I could wrap around the entire index entry text (but not including the page number citation) that would also have the defined semantic of limiting the scope of the bidi recognition? I have tried putting a bidi-override around the leader (between the index entry text and the page number citation to no effect) but it does not produce the desired effect.

I am continuing to work with Antenna House support on this issue but I was hoping there might be an easy solution that wouldn't require more work on anyone's part.

Thanks,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@xxxxxxxxxx
Consultant, ISOGEN International

1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
Austin, TX  78752 Phone: 512.656.4139

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.