[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

•

Subject: •
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 17:48:57 -0500
trademark numbered entity
I did not find this on the XSL list FAQ even though it is closely related to many other questions that are there.

Why doesn't this XML content:      &amp;#8226;
produce this output:               &#8226;

after parsing/xslt in my xhtml document???

It's bloody nigh impossible to get my XML parser (Xalan-Java) NOT to recognize entities except for this one case where recognizing it would solve all my problems. The xsl list FAQ under "Entities" item 13 "Passing Entities through a Transform" says that all entities are resolved before the transform and implies the only way to get around this is with a perlscript to strip entities of their ampersands. This cannot be the whole truth because:
a) xalan won't resolve &#amp; in the above example and b) everyone trying to produce html for posting would be screwed by having XML docs with proper unicode references--nobody could set set stuff up so cruelly (right?) c) In XSLT quickly, there's an example of how to define entities in the xsl stylesheet using <xsltext> to avoid this (p.90-91)--only you can't use this technique on a numbered entity because evidently that's not valid xml so they don't exist, even though they're all over the place.

I know this is an old subject; but after hours of investigating, I still don't get it. I need to know why the above example doesn't produce the right numbered entity reference, and what other ways there are to preserve entities through a transform, and possibly how unicode/numbered entities are defined and can be redefined. There just has to be a way to do this within xslt. I'm sorry that I still don't get this--please help anyway, somebody.
--
Thanks,

gregm

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.