[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Pattern: Processing Unwrapped Repeating Groups

Subject: Re: Pattern: Processing Unwrapped Repeating Groups
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 16:01:56 -0500
xml repeating group
Hi Eliot,

At 09:49 AM 1/30/02, you wrote:
In trying to solve a problem in the style sheet I'm currently developing
I stumbled on a pattern that I hadn't seen anywhere in my reading on XSL
processing--it's probably obvious to most but it took me a while to
figure it out so I thought I would share it.

The input data consists of what I call "unwrapped repeating groups, that
is, a content model like this: ...

It is a known pattern, but it's not actually obvious to most. (For example, I just reviewed an otherwise-excellent XSLT how-to book that recommends -- ouch! -- a disable-output-escaping-based solution to this problem.) For the most part, we've seen this technique subsumed under grouping, which (largely to the work of Jeni T.) is a fairly-well understood problem area. (Check out her site, http://www.jenitennison.com.)

But it's broader than what most people think of as grouping, and really ought to be distinguished for itself. And you're right, I haven't seen it covered as such in the literature. (Watch out or someone will name it after you.)

When element types aren't enough to distinguish how the groups should be made -- one example is introducing hierarchy into a flat structure where "nested" sections are distinguished only by h1, h2, h3 elements and so forth -- sometimes we use keys to select elements that go with the "starter" element of each group.

The only slight improvement I'd suggest to your approach is to use the 'following-sibling' axis instead of 'following'. You'll find it much more efficient over large data sets, since 'following' is going to go further -- sometimes much further -- than just children of the same parent.

Cheers,
Wendell

====================================================================== Wendell Piez mailto:wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com 17 West Jefferson Street Direct Phone: 301/315-9635 Suite 207 Phone: 301/315-9631 Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in SGML and XML ======================================================================

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.