[XML-DEV Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

re: RE: Alternatives to the W3C (was Re: Alternatives to the W3C)

• To: xml-dev@i...
  • Date: 23 Jan 00 10:11:24 -0500

re: RE: Alternatives to the W3C (was Re: Alternatives to the W3C)
> >If we say that the margin of error of this sample is 10% , it means that at
> >least 31% of the browsers in the population sampled has an XML browser, not
> >bad. So, if we make the right inferences:
> 
> That's only if you think that IE5 counts as an XML browser, realistically.
> I don't. -Tim

I've had to give this matter a lot of thought lately - ever since I started spawning an 
XHTML sibling site for my content - and I ultimately decided *not* to treat IE5 as 
XML-compliant.  Here's why.

First of all, one of my main objectives in the XHTML site is to rid myself of a lot of 
legacy code.  Any browser ever made has been able to handle HTML, so the HTML 
side of the site needs to support that as far as possible - or at least as far as reasonable.  
On the other hand, XML support is kind of scarce in that context, which means that I 
can remove a lot of legacy support from the XHTML code.  For instance, I can take 
out that one hack that dodges around the NN2 NOSCRIPT bug, and I can assume 
CSS1 as a viable alternative to finally do away with FONT and some other stuff.

With that in mind, it becomes clear that I have two ways to handle a visitor - route 'em 
to HTML, or send 'em to XHTML.  Since the HTML is designed to be legacy-friendly, 
I can send anyone there with confidence that they can see the content.  It makes for an 
excellent fallback system, and allows me to be a bit more draconian in my selection of 
XHTML browsers than I might be if XHTML was the only markup language around.  
The question, therefore, is not "how do I make my XHTML work on this browser" but 
rather "will this browser handle my XHTML" - the first assumes a site with one version; 
the second allows for HTML-targeted redirection.

Since IE5 does not adhere to certain parts of the XML/XHTML specs, I feel the best 
way to handle IE5 users is to send 'em to HTML by default.  Perhaps Mozilla will do 
better when finally released....

Rev. Robert L. Hood  | http://rev-bob.gotc.com/
  Get Off The Cross!  | http://www.gotc.com/

xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@i...
Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ or CD-ROM/ISBN 981-02-3594-1
Unsubscribe by posting to majordom@i... the message
unsubscribe xml-dev  (or)
unsubscribe xml-dev your-subscribed-email@your-subscribed-address

Please note: New list subscriptions now closed in preparation for transfer to OASIS.

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3

Stylus Studio has published XML-DEV in RSS and ATOM formats, enabling users to easily subcribe to the list from their preferred news reader application.

Stylus Studio Sponsored Links are added links designed to provide related and additional information to the visitors of this website. they were not included by the author in the initial post. To view the content without the Sponsor Links please click here.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.