Re: Is "Hand Authoring" XML still a critical use case ?
On 12/9/10 12:23 PM, David Lee wrote: > Is Hand Authored XML really an important issue nowadays ? I do it almost every day. > I argue that lack of good Apps is the problem really. I'll agree that most XML editors have their flaws. > Take an example. Does ANYONE "Hand Author" Word or PDF documents ? I > think not. They weren't designed with hand-editing in mind. You _can_ hand author Word XML, but again, that definitely wasn't what its creators had in mind. > Yet does anyone complain about how hard it is to author Word or PDF > Documents ? All I hear from authors is how they DON’T want to author XML, > they want Word. The actual file format is irrelevant to most document > authors (except us geeks). My authors are geeks, but a good third of O'Reilly books get authored in DocBook. Around half of those authors use GUI editors of some kind, but I'm hearing a lot of excitement lately from authors using vim to edit raw XML. > The user experience in the application is what authors see. > > So I ask, "Is Hand Authoring XML an important design criteria?" … > > I suggestion "No", but rather "Availability of good Authoring Tools" is > what's critical. > > <duck/> The same debate comes up regularly in HTML circles. You certainly can stick to tools there, probably more effectively than in XML. However, reaching a certain degree of proficiency pretty much always propels people into direct editing, at least a lot of the time. It's yet another 80/20 - 80% of cases are fine working through tools, but the other 20% tends to be the interesting stuff. -- Simon St.Laurent http://simonstl.com/
[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index]
PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!
Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!
Download The World's Best XML IDE!
Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!
Subscribe in XML format