XML Editor
Sign up for a WebBoard account Sign Up Keyword Search Search More Options... Options
Chat Rooms Chat Help Help News News Log in to WebBoard Log in Not Logged in
Show tree view Topic
Topic Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Go to previous topicPrev TopicGo to next topicNext Topic
Postnext
Tucker PathSubject: Disable font guessing
Author: Tucker Path
Date: 20 Jan 2005 04:36 PM
Online Help
- Chapter2: Editing and Querying XML
- Updating XML Documents Using the Text Editor
- Common Text Editing Functions and Tools
- Font
> the available fonts are the fonts that can display the characters in your XML file.
> For example, in a Japanese file, only two or three font names appear.

Is it possible to disable this restriction and let all fonts appear?

I'd like to do so because Stylus Studio does not figure out "the available fonts" correctly.

For example, Tahoma, Microsoft Sans Serif and Lucida Sans Unicode are all able to display Japanese characters on Japanese Windows 2000 by default.
(Actually, any font can display any character on any language build of Windows. It's a built-in Windows feature called FontLink.)

Stylus Studio, however, does not enlist such fonts in [Edit] - [Change Font] menu when the file contains Japanese characters.
In that case, Stylus Studio even ignores my option settings ([Tools] - [Options] - [Application Settings] - [Editor Format] - [Default Font]) and falls back to one of Asian fonts. Unfortunately, on my case, it's a Korean font which has ugly Japanese character shapes.

So I'd be happy if I could disable Stylus Studio's guess of available fonts.

Regards,

Postnext
Alberto MassariSubject: Re: Disable font guessing
Author: Alberto Massari
Date: 21 Jan 2005 06:30 AM
Hi,

At 16.38 20/01/2005 -0500, stylus-studio-tech Listmanager wrote:
>From: Tucker Path
>
>[...]
>Is it possible to disable this restriction and let all fonts appear?
>
>I'd like to do so because Stylus Studio does not figure out "the available
>fonts" correctly.

Stylus Studio retrieves the informations about which characters can be
displayed by a font directly from the font definition; so, to be listed in
that popup window, a font must declare it can display all the characters
contained in the XML file. Are you sure your XML file doesn't contain some
special character that makes it unfit for Tahoma or Sans Serif?

Could you send me the XML file that is giving you problems?

Thanks,
Alberto


Postnext
Tucker PathSubject: Re: Disable font guessing
Author: Tucker Path
Date: 21 Jan 2005 07:20 AM
Thanks for the reply.

>Are you sure your XML file doesn't contain some
>special character that makes it unfit for Tahoma
>or Sans Serif?

Yes, my XML file contains some characters unfit for Tahoma itself.

But the point is that Tahoma is liked to other fonts so it can accommodate even unfit characters.
This is possible on Unicode apps. It's called FontLink.

FontLink is briefly described here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wcefonts/html/ceconenablingfontlinking.asp

I've verified FontLink is available on Stylus Studio:
1. Open Stylus Studio.
2. [File] - [New] - [XML Document].
3. [Edit] - [Change Font] - [Tahoma]. (This is possible because at this time only Latin characters are there.)
4. Input some Latin and Japanese characters.
-> All characters are displayed correctly. Latin ones are rendered by Tahoma. Japanese ones are rendered by a linked Japanese font. This gets the most beautiful result.

>Stylus Studio retrieves the informations about which
>characters can be displayed by a font directly
>from the font definition; so, to be listed in
>that popup window, a font must declare it can display
>all the characters contained in the XML file.

It's a nice feature... particularly when the characters are not linked by FontLink.

But I'd be grateful if I could know a way to disable it and just rely on FontLink, since all characters in my files are within the fonts linked by FontLink.

Regards,

Postnext
Alberto MassariSubject: Re: Disable font guessing
Author: Alberto Massari
Date: 21 Jan 2005 09:46 AM
Hi,

At 07.22 21/01/2005 -0500, stylus-studio-tech Listmanager wrote:
>[..]
>This is possible on Unicode apps. It's called FontLink.
>
>FontLink is briefly described here:
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wcefonts/html/ceconenablingfontlinking.asp

The fun thing is that FontLink is described only as a feature of Windows CE...
Anyhow, we can easily add an option to turn off the autodetection of fonts,
so that every user can decide whether her system has such capability.

Thanks for the feedback,
Alberto


Posttop
Tucker PathSubject: Re: Disable font guessing
Author: Tucker Path
Date: 21 Jan 2005 10:53 AM
>The fun thing is that FontLink is described
>only as a feature of Windows CE...

Sorry for insufficient words. I just cited the well described page.
The feature is actually supported on W2k or so.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/msi/setup/userslanguage_control_attribute.asp
It's just not well described.

>Anyhow, we can easily add an option to turn off the
>autodetection of fonts, so that every user can decide
>whether her system has such capability.

It's much appreciated!

Regards,

 
Topic Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Go to previous topicPrev TopicGo to next topicNext Topic
Download A Free Trial of Stylus Studio 6 XML Professional Edition Today! Powered by Stylus Studio, the world's leading XML IDE for XML, XSLT, XQuery, XML Schema, DTD, XPath, WSDL, XHTML, SQL/XML, and XML Mapping!  
go

Log In Options

Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Stylus Scoop XML Newsletter:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2016 All Rights Reserved.