[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Variable in XPath

Subject: Re: Variable in XPath
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:39:15 +0200
Re:  Variable in XPath
Hi Garvin,

see my comments:

Garvin Riensche wrote:
Hello,

I hope that anyone can help me with the following. I want to write a stylesheet that is used to check if an element (class) with a special ID which is given as variable from the commandline exists in the source or not. If no variable is supplied I want to test if there are "class" nodes at all. Of course it's no problem to check if a node with a special ID exists or not. But what do I use as default value of the variable so that all "class" nodes are selected if no variable is supplied.

?

<xsl:variable name="id" select="attribute::*"/>

Why a variable? You wanted to set it externally, in which case you better use a parameter.

Seems that you want the variable to hold the value of the current attribute by default? This only works when there's a context item, and there is no context item on the root level of a stylesheet, so this effectively means that your variable contains the empty sequence.

You could provide an absolute xpath, but then you would loose the context. I suppose this is cleaner instead and gives you all you need:

<xsl:param name="id" />

<xsl:template match="//condition/and-condition">

It is best practice (most of the time) *not* to use // in a match clause, it serves no purpose.

<xsl:when test="doc('factbase.xml')/facts/class[@id eq $id]">

The test should be true if $id is set to "2" or "3"

$id = (2, 3)

and if $id is not set at all.

assuming 'and' is semantically 'or' here (because $id = (2, 3) and empty($id) is never true):

$id = (2,3) or empty($id)

So, the key is the comparison "@id eq $id" and the default value of $id.

ah, you meant something else?....

"attribute::*" as default value is obviously wrong.

see above, it will give an empty sequence

Which default value do I have to use to test if class nodes exist at all?

I don't see why you want a default value for this, just don't use the $id:

empty(facts/class)

or, if you do some xsl:apply-templates, you probably don't have to worry about non-existing nodes at all (over-use of xsl:choose/when/if is a common cause of unstructured hard-to-maintain code):

<xsl:apply-templates select="facts/class" />

will not select 'class' when there is none.

Now that we put it all together, I assume you mean something like: if $id matches one or more @id, do something, if it matches none, but there are class-nodes, do something else, if there are no class-nodes, do something else. Here's one way to do it (in this case without xsl:choose, but you can of course use that if you feel more comfortable about it):

<xsl:param name="id" />

<xsl:template match="your-start">
   <xsl:apply-templates match="doc('factbase.xml')/facts/class" />
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="class[@id = $id]">
   ...do your stuff with a matching $id=@id for class-nodes...

<xsl:template match="facts[not(class/@id = $id)]/class">
...do your stuff when no @id matches the supplied $id, but class-nodes exist...

<xsl:template match="facts[empty(class)]">
  ...do your stuff when there are no class-nodes...

Happy coding!

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma

PS: alternatively, you could remove the second xsl:template match rule with the following, which reads easier and works equally well, because of priority rules:

<xsl:template match="class">
...do your stuff when no @id matches the supplied $id, but class-nodes exist...

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.