Subject:CPU pegged to max... Author:Paul Corriveau Date:06 Jun 2005 04:56 PM
I'm using 4.6 build 103. I installed the demo version of 6.3 and ran into a few hanging problems. So I uninstalled 6.3 and since then 4.6 (which was very stable) has become virtually useless. The issue? Every few seconds it does something that sucks up 99% of the CPU for about 6 - 10 seconds. This happens when I select a menu item, scroll down, etc.
Subject:CPU pegged to max... Author:Minollo I. Date:06 Jun 2005 05:23 PM
I would encourage you to post more details about the problems you have experienced with version 6 release 3 (when did the hangs happen? What kind of documents were active?).
About making your previous 4.6 installation unstable, version 6 release 3 doesn't share anything with 4.6; different default installation folders, different registry entries. So, I believe the reason for what you are seeing is unrelated to installing/uninstalling 6r3.
A couple of suggestions:
- Make sure you have no struzzo.exe process ghosts active on your machine (using task manager)
- If you edit XML documents pointing to largish XML Schemas/DTDs, and/or poiting to XML Schemas/DTDs available through a network connection, try increasing the value for "Refresh Interval" under Tools | Options > XML Editor > XML Settings to a high value (10000 or more).
Subject:CPU pegged to max... Author:Paul Corriveau Date:07 Jun 2005 07:58 AM
Regarding 6.3, here's the repeatable sequence:
Load a large (1072KB) xsd file. Select a node for refactoring from the diagram view. Create a new xsd file and paste the node into it. The text view window shows the schema but the diagram view never completes drawing. I think I let it go for 15 - 20 minutes at one point before killing the process. The schemas were the only docs loaded. This is on a Windows XP pro laptop with 768 mb of ram.
I've set "Refresh Interval" under Tools | Options > XML Editor > XML Settings to 10000. Looks like it worked. I'll let you know if otherwise. Any ideas why this behavior would suddenly show up?
Subject:CPU pegged to max... Author:Minollo I. Date:07 Jun 2005 09:42 AM
We are trying to reproduce the problem you have described here.
About the perceived change in the behavior of Refresh Interval, I can only guess a few possibilities:
- you have uninstalled and reinstalled 4.6 (that would clean up preferences and bring you back to defaults)
- you have started using XML documents pointing to large/remote XML Schemas
- network connectivity to some of the remote XML Schemas has become slower
- XML Schema have grown bigger :)