[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Converting XML into ODT document to print as paper

Subject: Re: Converting XML into ODT document to print as paper
From: "Peter Flynn peter@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 15:24:33 -0000
Re:  Converting XML into ODT document to print as paper
On 24/09/2020 08:57, Manuel Souto Pico terminolator@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I would need to convert XML to something that has a fixed page layout ready to print, like ODT/OOXML or PDF.

Do you want other people to be able to edit the result? ODT/OOXML are designed to be editable; PDF is not.

I know OOXML is complex, but since the final document needs to be printed and keep the same layout, probably HTML output is not good for this (I guess!).

A good web designer can probably create a layout that looks the same and honours the paged-media CSS, but I don't think there are any guarantees.

What I need at the moment is just a quick and dirty proof of concept
to show that this conversion is feasible and not too difficult, to
show it to decision makers (I'm not a XSLT developer myself).

XSLT will certainly be involved IMNSHO. My personal preference would be XML > LaTeX > PDF but not everyone knows LaTeX.

My first thought was to unzip the ODT model I have, look at the content.xml inside and then try to transform my XML into that same structure (as suggested here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38298174/directly-convert-a-single-xml-file-to-docx).

That is indeed possible. Just complicated.

However, probably that's the hard way...

You spotted it :-)

I'm doing some research, any tips or pointers or advice or recommendation or examples here would be highly appreciated. Is there any best practice to do this? or a ready-made solution?

I did a quick test just now and the results are at http://xml.silmaril.ie/software

Peter

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.