[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Unravelling Imports

Subject: RE: Unravelling Imports
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 14:55:56 -0500
RE:  Unravelling Imports
Ihe,

As much as it sounds like a bad idea on the surface, I can understand where you could be coming from. For example, if you have an intricate client-side XSLT architecture with highly modularized stylesheets, then the overhead cost of HTTP requests to download/cache-verify the individual stylesheets could start to add up to a non-negligible overhead, especially on a bad/slow connection.

I thought I was in a similar situation a few years ago, and at the time, I actually mapped out what the transformation would look like and how it would work. I never got around to implementing it due to the potential risks, but if you have a very compelling reason for it, I do know it's possible, at least with XSLT 1.0. It involves a lot of mapping out the exact priorities, applying and copying, sorted by the computed priorities (for <xsl:import>s), and copying only the topmost elements in the priority list to avoid duplicate definitions. If you're only using <xsl:include>s, it should be easier, because your XSLT processor would throw stylesheet errors if there were any duplicate definitions, due to the single-level nature of includes.

There are some specific functionalities that may not be available in a monolithic model (<xsl:apply-imports/>, for one), and others for which I'm honestly not certain of the behavior of XSLT 1.0 processors (e.g. the scope of document('') in an imported or included stylesheet). But I do know it's possible and feasible within a limited scope.

~ Scott

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:36 PM
To: xsl-list
Subject:  Unravelling Imports

There is a supposed requirement that we deliver monolithic XSLT with includes unravelled (there are no imports).

I don't need to be convinced it's a bad and misguided idea but I won't close off anyone who wants to comment as they may think of stuff that I haven't.

The purpose of my post though is this.

Suppose we did go ahead and code with imports, would it be possible to define a transform that mechanically transformed everything into monolithic XML.

I'm thinking it would involve alot of use of priorities at the very least.

Ihe

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.