[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: XHTML DTD aware transformation and indentation be

Subject: Re: XHTML DTD aware transformation and indentation behaviour
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 11:09:44 +0000
Re:  XHTML DTD aware transformation and indentation  be
On 02/02/2012 10:48, Matthieu Ricaud-Dussarget wrote:
Hi all,

In my project I concatenate multiple xhtml files in one xml files. This aggregate file has to be edited by hand, that means indentation is important here for convenience.

Before I discovered XML Catalog, I used to delete all DOCTYPE declarations within source XHTML file with a perl script (which also remplace named entities with UTF-8 ones). This worked fine : the concatenated files were indented exactly like the XHTML sources.

But this was a bit dangerous in case I didn't match a special entity to replace with perl. And this was not a really good XML practice.

Now that I'm using a local XML Catalog and run my tranformation with Saxon in command line with this options :
-r:org.apache.xml.resolver.tools.CatalogResolver -x:org.apache.xml.resolver.tools.ResolvingXMLReader -y:org.apache.xml.resolver.tools.ResolvingXMLReader

I can't see exactly what's happening here because your mail client and mine have conspired to ignore the whitespace which was critical to understanding your message.

Generally, if you validate against a DTD, then whitespace in elements whose content model is defined as element-only (for example head and body) will be treated as ignorable, which means it's liable to be lost in a copy operation. Perhaps this is what is happening.

Try the option -strip:none on the command line to prevent this behaviour. The documentation says this is the default, but I'm not convinced it is correct: I seem to remember it changing some time ago in response to a W3C change.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.