[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: redirecting ouput to a different file?

Subject: Re: redirecting ouput to a different file?
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 18:07:57 -0700
Re:  redirecting ouput to a different file?
Ah! my xml sample was just a small part of the document. So you used avee as the root node and anything processed after that will be written to the result-document. So I would move the <xsl:result-document> up to the highest level element that I want the output to be generated.

I think I follow you now, I was in the weeds of my bigger document.

thanks, great help as always!

..dan

At 06:01 PM 8/18/2011, you wrote:
At 2011-08-18 17:49 -0700, Dan Vint wrote:
So I can drop that <xsl:result-document href="DMC-{modelic}-{sdc}-{chapnum}-.... into all of my templates?

No ... not all. You build the result tree under <xsl:result-document> that is targeted for that file. <xsl:result-document> just starts the building of a new result tree and you build it just like you build the default result tree when not using that instruction.

I hadn't found any complex examples in my searches, but was hoping it would work like what you describe.

It does work like I describe, but I don't think you see how I'm describing it:

<xsl:template match="avee">
    <xsl:result-document href="DMC-{modelic}-{sdc}-{chapnum}-....
      <xsl:apply-templates select="..."/>
    </xsl:result-document>
  </xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="whatever">
    ... some stuff that goes into that result document...
  </xsl:template>

The <xsl:apply-templates/> above will end up building nodes under <xsl:result-document/> even if that building is done from other templates. You mustn't copy the <xsl:result-document> into the other templates.

Once you finish building the tree and you process something after the <xsl:result-document> instruction, the tree is done with and the file is written (though likely it was being written along the way).

BTW, you can nest the instructions in order to create a separate file on the side while you are in the middle of creating another file. You just cannot re-open an <xsl:result-document/> file and add to it.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

. . . . . . . . . Ken

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Legal business disclaimers:  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Danny Vint

Panoramic Photography
http://www.dvint.com

voice: 619-938-3610

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.