[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: XSLT 2.1 streaming: only benefits memory?

Subject: Re: XSLT 2.1 streaming: only benefits memory?
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 14:16:54 +0100
Re:  XSLT 2.1 streaming: only benefits memory?
Please see

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-21/#streaming-concepts

"Streaming achieves two important objectives: it allows large documents to be transformed without requiring correspondingly large amounts of memory; and it allows the processor to start producing output before it has finished receiving its input, thus reducing latency."

Michael Kay
Saxonica

On 14/08/2010 12:51, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
Hi Folks,

In what I've read, the main benefit of the streaming capability in XSLT 2.1 is memory. Namely, an XSLT processor won't have to hold in memory a representation of the entire XML document.

> From the reading that I have done on streaming in general (i.e., not XSLT-specific), I get the impression that the main benefit of streaming is that it enables processing before the complete set of data is available. For example, a series of deposits and withdrawals to a bank account over a period of time is a stream. A stream-based program would be long running and would process the deposits and withdrawals as they occur. Notice in this example, the key issue is incremental processing of data as the data arrives; the key issue is not one of memory (in fact, memory isn't even an issue).

QUESTION

Is the streaming capability in XSLT 2.1 just for dealing with large XML documents or will it support data that arrives in bits and pieces (i.e., streamed data)?

/Roger

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.