[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Obstacles (?) to XSLT 2.0 in C++

Subject: Obstacles (?) to XSLT 2.0 in C++
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 18:42:33 +1030
 Obstacles (?) to XSLT 2.0 in C++
Hi XSLT people,

I'm wondering just what exactly-one or more (pun intended) obstacles there are to having XSL-T 2.0, XPath 2.0 and friends implemented in C++.

(I assert that) It is desirable to be able to manipulate XML in both pull and push fashion. My understanding (please correct me if I am wrong) is that XQuery is as to pull as XSL-T is as to push. Yes there are many XQuery opi in progress for a multitude of platforms including Java, .Net and various FP languages and some with a C/C++ language base. On the other hand, XSL-T 2.0 is as good as still-born (to quote a blog by Elliotte Rusty Harold) given that there are few if any C++ based XSL-T processors that approach anywhere near the Gold Standard XSL-T 2.0 processor that is Saxon for Java (and its .Net translation).

So just what are the obstacles, impediments, show-stoppers etc. for world-class XSL-T 2.0 processors in the C/C++ space?

I'm very interested in feedback from this list. Perhaps some plausible issues include:

- Lack of inbuilt garbage collection in C/C++ (which is very much a requirement when dealing with the list/sequence nature of XPath) makes implementation difficult

- The spec(s) is(are) difficult to master so no matter what language prospective implementors are reluctant to take on the Gold Standard

- There are no compelling reasons for business investment in alternative XSL-T implementations

- XML processing libraries for C/C++ are disparate; where is XOM for C++ for instance?

- XSL-T 1.0 is sufficient so who cares?

- I'm clueless; please add your input

Thanks for all replies,

Justin Johansson

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.