[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

[XSL] Two "Philisophical" questions about the language

Subject: [XSL] Two "Philisophical" questions about the language
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 12:23:02 +0100
 [XSL] Two "Philisophical" questions about the language
Hi XSL experts,

I've always been wondering, and after a few hours of Googling found nothing about "philosophical" questions on the XSL language.

First one
--------------
We've got an instruction :
<xsl:if>

But this instruction has no <xsl:else> as any other language I've used.
I'm not saying <xsl:if> is useless, it IS: in case for example you want to add an attribute to a node on the result document under certain condition, but many times you have to use <xsl:choose> instead (when you can't replace it by a template) because you have an "else" part.
Of course you could write :
<xsl:if test="$condition">

then

<xsl:if test="not($condition)">

But that's quite bad for maintenance, and I assume not as optimized as could be an "else".
If coding with XSLT2.0, in some case you can also use a "workaround" through an XPATH test which allows an "else" part.

So my "philosophical" considerations are:
- If I had a pure "theoretical" view, we could do without <xsl:if>, you can just use <xsl:choose> instead and write the condition in a unique <xsl:case>. So, with this point of view, <xsl:if> can be discarded as a redundant keyword.
- If I had a "practical" view, <xsl:if> (when impossible to replace by a template) is useful to write shorter and more readable code. And should be even more useful with an <xsl:else> complement.

Then I don't understand the W3C position, as it is neither the "theoretical" one (no <xsl:if> at all) nore the practical one (add an <xsl:else>) ?
Could someone explain or give me pointers to discussions that leaded to this decision / trade-off ?

[Remark: if one is really starving to death to use <xsl:else> he can still have it! You just need to run a first transformation on the XSL code to transform <xsl:if><xsl:else> constructs to their equivalent with <xsl:choose><xsl:otherwise>, then you run the transformation with that new piece of code]

Second one ------------------ My second one might be easier!

Let's say I have an XML like this

<?xml version="1.0">
<root>
 <!-- Any number of nodes here -->
</root>

As a valid XML document can have only one "main" node, what is the architectural and practical difference between

<xsl:template select="/">

and

<xsl:template select="/root">

At the moment:
- they do the exact same thing
- the only difference is that the second one is less "generic" as it would select nothing if the name of my topmost node changes

The only useful distinction I can guess is that I would use the first construct if I had to make a very generic template that would have to run whatever node names are. In other cases, I feel safer to use the second one, although it's even better to use a schema to validate that the input XML is indeed what you expect it to be!

Is there ideas to "extend" XML and allow multiple topmost nodes ? In that case / would become the "unamed" topmost document node, and /some-node would be just one of the topmost. So, that would be equivalent to authorise an "unnamed" first node:

<?xml version="7.0">
<>
 <root1>
 </root1>
 <root2>
 </root2>
</>

Best Regards. Alain BENEDETTI

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.