[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: XSLT 2.1

Subject: Re: XSLT 2.1
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:44:25 -0400
Re:  XSLT 2.1
Hi,

At 01:21 PM 10/31/2008, you wrote:
I know that my "true identity template" is far out but this is what we
must do today to counter the limits of the "XQuery 1.0 and XPath 2.0
Data Model" (XDM).

But I would like to know if my common sense approach is right: if an
XSLT stylesheet works in an XSLT processor then it could also have
been part of the XSLT processor in the first place?

That is, what I propose could have been done, but it would be a too
clumsy road to follow?

I rather doubt that the "common sense" reasoning above is correct. There is too much variation among possible implementation strategies (now and in the future) to say generally that because one processor does a thing, therefore any processor should be able to do it.

Consider the specification for a system that chops onions. The pieces of onion must be uniform in size within certain parameters, say between 0.5 square cm and 2 square cm. One system employs a knife and cutting board to accomplish this successfully. Another works more like a food processor: the onions are dropped in a bin, a rotary knife blade is applied for a certain time, and the onions are chopped.

The manufacturer of the food processor also distributes a blender attachment which can make fruit smoothies. It is easily done, but nothing analogous can be done with the knife to accomplish the same end.

XSLT is not like either the food processor or the knife attachment: it's the specification of the chopped onions. What is easily accomplished by one XSLT (onion-chopping) implementation -- a fruit smoothie -- is not necessarily accomplished by another XSLT implementation.

Asking that the literal form of XML input must be respected by an XSLT engine and reproducible on output -- however that is defined to include or exclude entity references, attribute order, whitespace in tags, and other syntactic distinctions that are semantically opaque in XML qua XML -- is liable to be much easier to accomplish using some approaches than others, if not altogether impossible to do with some that may be very good at XSLT in every other respect.

Note also that this has nothing to do with how reasonable the requirement is to make fruit smoothies. If it's a reasonable requirement, it can be specified, and a technology developed to do it.

Regards,
Wendell

======================================================================
Wendell Piez                            mailto:wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.                http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9635
Suite 207                                          Phone: 301/315-9631
Rockville, MD  20850                                 Fax: 301/315-8285
----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in SGML and XML
======================================================================

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.