[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Newbie wants comments too . . .

Subject: Re: Newbie wants comments too . . .
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 18:31:10 -0400
Re:  Newbie wants comments too . . .
Frank,

At 05:44 PM 5/7/2008, you wrote:
ps -- any particular reason why you have xsl:preserve-space="*"?

lol - You give me more credit than I deserve.

Oh no I don't: I merely asked! :-)

When I didn't like the look of the output file, I scanned the command table in my XSLT book and this command looked likely to help.

It didn't help (or hurt) what I was doing, so I left it in and never looked back.

I took it out in the update you provided . . . as you indicated "indent" was much better than trying to use xsl:text commands to put in line feeds where I wanted them.

XSLT is so different from other sorts of things that most developers have tried that it can be difficult to learn on your own, especially without good simple examples and models to follow. Things are worse when you are thrown into the deep end in problem-solving mode, with a deadline.

Accordingly, you will probably find that you would do well to (a) continue reading (and posting to) this list, and (b) take some time to work through some simple examples and tutorials designed to show the language doing well what it does best.

The time you steal from your employer to do this will more than pay for itself very quickly as soon as you have to do anything at all complex with XSLT.

The more enlightened employers (that is, those who are willing to save themselves time and money by investing in skills up front) will even send their developers to receive formal training. A number of excellent XSLT developers who are, and/or have been, on this list, offer such training. Ask around.

Cheers,
Wendell

======================================================================
Wendell Piez                            mailto:wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.                http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9635
Suite 207                                          Phone: 301/315-9631
Rockville, MD  20850                                 Fax: 301/315-8285
----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in SGML and XML
======================================================================

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.