[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: XSLTPROC performance

Subject: Re: XSLTPROC performance
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:13:36 +0100
Re:  XSLTPROC performance
Giulio Rizzo wrote:
First of all I introduce myself, I'm Giulio from Italy.

Hi, nice to meet you and welcome to the "club", I'm Abel from Holland ;)

I am required to write some extension function to a libxml compliant xslt processor.

May I ask you what this extension function is about? Often people write extension functions when the same thing is possible with a little extra effort within XSLT itself .

(performance is the highest requirement),

If this is true you shouldn't use XSLT and XML in the first place. Clarity and extensibility have always been higher requirements for these languages (and its tools) then performance. I.e., a SOAP bridge (which is based on XML) is inherently slower than a RPC bridge (or most other alternatives like CORBA and DCOM).

Is any other solution alternative to the two I've mentioned? The problem is that is about 6 years that XSLTPROC have been used and the new (?) processor must give the same results as XSLTPROC.

There are plenty XSLT 1.0 processor around. If your stylesheets are written without using extensions, you can reckon that they are quite likely XSLT 1.0 compliant and will run with the same results on most processors (whitespace, which is insignificant in XML, not counted). Of course you'll have to test this to be sure. There are XML comparison tools around that will find differences that are significant.

Last question, the optimum will be to be able to use a java XSLT processor, but I must be sure that it is 100% compliant with the results of an XSLTPROC execution on the same input.

One of the most used XSLT processors these days is the Saxon processor (but that's a gut feeling). The older Saxon 6.5 processor (not maintained anymore) is 100% XSLT 1.0 compliant and supports many of the EXSLT extensions. The newer Saxon 9.0 processor is 100% XSLT 2.0 compliant. Going to XSLT 2.0 may give you a little trouble in the beginning, but many things that were formerly done with extension functions or complex recursion have become one-liners in XSLT/XPath 2.0. Of interest to you might be the XSLT 1.0 backward compatibility mode which makes running XSLT 1.0 code easier.

Cheers, -- Abel Braaksma

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.