[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: [XSL] XSL Browser Integration

Subject: Re: [XSL] XSL Browser Integration
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 20:06:15 +0200
Re:  [XSL] XSL Browser Integration
M. David Peterson wrote:

* There are some gotchas.
* Abel Braaksma has become the resident expert of what these gotchas are as they relate to each of the four major browsers.
* I'd bet if you asked nicely he would either point you to the various related threads from months and years past and/or summarize them for you in-line to this thread. ;-)

haha, thanks M:D, let's pick up that gauntlet ;) . Here's one of them that I find particularly annoying: If you use XHR for getting your XML for your XSLT files, and when you are on the (in)famous IE browser, than you need to serialize-reparse the stream into a freethreaded DOM document for it to be usable as an XSLT processor DOM source.

This, of course, is a costly operation (but not nearly as costly for the XML DOM that is usually quite bigger). But the annoying bit is: you'll loose your base href.when you reparse. I have posted a fix for this to the Sarissa list that can be used to use the document() / xsl:import/include statements without expensive modifications (one could argue to give the base-href as a param, but that won't work for xsl:import/include). The fix is nothing more than a quite complex regular expression and adds the real base-href to paths using normal xpath syntax.

This problem does not arise when you load your documents directly from a http source.

But let this not withhold you from using client side transformations. Since I do that, most of the time I don't have to deal with cross-browser troubles and that speeds up my development process tremendously (and it forces me to use a better MVC like design).

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.