[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: XML/XHTML fragment to text

Subject: Re: XML/XHTML fragment to text
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 22:17:52 +0200
 Re: XML/XHTML fragment to text
Hi Abel,

I'm quite impressed by your templates saxon:serialize + string-to-hexbin, it would definitely work for us because we have a "simple" fragment of HTML (no fancy CDATA, entities, scripts, or complicated things in it)

It looks so easy with XSLT2.0... and saxon extensions !

But shouldn't we have opened a different stream for the "UTF-8 to legacy nightmare", in case it might be of some interest for other people?

If you want that your apps run at dazzling speed, you should code in C++, or ASM for that matter.

Indeed ! It's just a question of using the right tools for what you've got to do. The counterpart of C++ and the unspeakable ASM is that it takes much more time to write, test and maintain. I once had to write a Lempel&Ziv algorithm (at that time we couldn't find a library to buy), of course even plain C was not powerful and fast enough, the right tool had to be ASM.

And for what is capable XSL, it's also a question of limit. With XML-to-legacy we are approaching that limit
having to be aware of what was serialized. Even if theoretically you can do everything in XSL (I'm not sure
about writing a Lempel&Ziv algorithm, because it goes down to manipulating bits) there comes a moment when
it sounds more reasonable and a better time/complexity/money balance to switch language to Java, C++,
[or even Cobol... because you've got staff trained for that, and that's a BIG reason !]

Or we could probably write (or buy) "generic" patterns to transform to fix-length.

I have them on the shelf, I use them regularly. If you are interested.... ;)

Indeed again ! And there's also an "ethical" limit to what I would ask "freely" to this list.
Because the original question was work-related, and as my employer is
not a non-profit association (and even quite a wealthy company... well, that
was before the subprime thing, I'll have to check again after my holidays !)
I would consider fair, at a certain level, that they could buy some templates
if we need them. And it would even be better, because I'm sure it will cost
less money than to build them from scratch, test, optimize, etc...

I also help my cousin an father with their non-profit association.
I wrote their internet sites using XML/XSL to produce the XHTML/HTML.
Of course that's a different matter, it's about helping children in
blighted area to succeed a little better at school, and if I would have
question related to that sites I should ask... but XSL is really so
powerful in that case, I manage quite well even if my templates are not
optimized they run fine enough for sites between 100 and 1K pages.

>>But as I'm on holidays now, I'll have to check the project

status when I'm back in September !
Enjoy your holidays!

Thank you, French Riviera is as always an enjoyable paradise ! And the last limit is what I should do for work when I'm on holidays ;-) I hope you enjoyed your holidays as well, or will enjoy them if they come in near future.

Cheers.
Alain.

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.