[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Selecting First Direct Sibling

Subject: RE: Selecting First Direct Sibling
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:33:05 -0400
RE:  Selecting First Direct Sibling
I understand what you are saying and yes I would not run into these minute yet important problems had I used documentation tags.

However, using documentation tags in a large XSD document creates uneccessary processing and overhead for our framework which parses this file. Documentation elements are read and processed, while comments are ignored completely. It also decreases file size.

According to our development team, performance is greatly increased with comments in place of documentation elements. Since my XSL is apart from the framework, parsing comments isn't too much of a big deal. However, "fine details" such as stripping spaces are what stop it from being 100% accurate (which it is thanks to many helpful people on this list).

Cheers,

W.S

----Original Message Follows----

This thread has been drilling down into extremely fine details that are required only because the original XML has been misused.

There is using proper markup and there is using markup properly.

That is, the OP is processing valid comment elements and text nodes, but putting 'invalid' information into the comments. Schemas have documentation elements for this stuff, and these elements allow elements from other namespaces, so the markup is unrestricted. I've done it and it is simple, unambiguous, and clean.

I understand that the OP may have no choice, maybe the XML can't be changed so we need to make XSL do backflips, but these DTD/schema/whitespace complications contradict the spirit of XML.

Brad

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.