[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: XML/XHTML fragment to text

Subject: Re: XML/XHTML fragment to text
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:02:36 +0200
 Re: XML/XHTML fragment to text
Thanks for your advices, they have been very helpful.

Let me elaborate a bit. When I wrote text output for a legacy application, I was implying fixed format text.
Variable text would have been as easy as any other output, I agree with that.

The output looks likes :
@@@ 123456701/08/2007<div>Any XML/XHTML</div> (..many spaces..) {other data+other records}

Specified as (for every record):
Offset
1 (length 3) @@@ // Fix banner 3 characters @
4 (l = 7) filler // blank filler (future use)
11 (l=7) Customer-ID
18 (l=8) Start date, format DD/MM/YY
26 (l=150) HTML fragment
176 (l=8) Other data
Legacy systems love this sort of fixed stuff because they can just feed it to a Cobol Copy and play with it.

So you see, it's definitely <output method="text"/> because the output is not at all some valid XML.

I would be glad to be able to do some thing like :

<output method="text"/>

<!-- Some code for my text output -->

<xsl:copy-of method="html" select="fragment" />

<!-- more code for text output -->

That would be OK for what I have to output, but there will still be a problem.
I have to know the exact number of byte that have been output so that I can pad the html zone to the right length.
Therefore I have to sort of "cast" the nodeset to a string.

So that's why I wrote trying to use XSL for 3rd generation legacy programs is quite unnatural and not so easy.

Anyway, they must have guess the initial design is not right. The decision seems to be to separate the XHTML and the fixed output.
The XHTML will be put alone in a single file (and then it will be safe to use a copy-of and HTML method) and we will output the
name of the file in the fixed structure.

There will then be another performance issue: if we have a million records there will be a million small files to be handled by the filesystem... but that's not an XSL issue anymore !

Thanks again.

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.