[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: RE: RE: Dealing with <![CDATA[]]> when it can't be

Subject: RE: RE: RE: Dealing with <![CDATA[]]> when it can't be avoided
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 10:09:40 -0400
RE: RE: RE:  Dealing with <![CDATA[]]> when it can't be
I have devised a database reporting system based on Ant and XSLT that produces its reports in Excel format.

For non-technical reasons, I have chosen to store some information in XML files rather than in the database itself. The list of strings that are part of the SQL query could easily be stored in a table and be replaced with a sub-select rather than using the XSLT-to-insert-literal-strings approach.

For that matter, the SQL queries now contained in XML elements could be moved to stored procedures.

If I move to the approach outlined in this thread (further along the present course), I have to wonder if I am building a more elaborate system than necessary (and thereby creating unnecessary risk and maintenance expense) rather than tackling the non-technical reasons directly.

So you see, the problem isn't the capabilites of XSLT, it's really a question of, "Is this approach better than moving more of the system into the database itself?"

There really isn't an answer to be found on the list. I have to weigh competing concerns and draw conclusions based on my environment, rather than simply on the basis of "Can this be done?"

Thanks.

-- 
Charles Knell
cknell@xxxxxxxxxx - email

-----Original Message-----
Sent:     Fri, 6 Jul 2007 14:44:37 +0100
To:       <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  RE: RE:  Dealing with <![CDATA[]]> when it can't be avoided

> I'm at the point of wondering if XSLT is the best approach 
> here. It's a helluva hammer, but is my problem really a nail?

You haven't really explained (a) what you want to do with this data, or (b)
why you're finding it difficult to do in XSLT. So far it all seems very
straightforward indeed.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.