[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: What's your visual metaphor for XSL Transformation

Subject: Re: What's your visual metaphor for XSL Transformations?
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:39:38 +0100
Re:  What's your visual metaphor for XSL Transformation
Robert Koberg wrote:

1. There is no need to have any source XML document.
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#initiating

whatev... seriously, do you consider this an arguement? How do you transform nothing?

1. A short while ago, I put a UUID generator from XSLT to the list. It does not need any input and it will create any number of UUIDs.

2. One of our applications create a commands tree out of thin air. The XSLT is in 1.0 (it is browser based), but still doesn't need input (unfortunately, XSLT 1.0 did not provide such a means, so I use the simple-enough workaround to apply the XSLT on itself and discard the transformation). The commands are created by inputs and are provided with parameters. You could see it as a SOAP command generator, though the XML it generates is a bit simpler than that.

3. Another application we have generates a report of all kinds of system properties. This is handy for system administrators, it uses the system-property(xyz) with properties set in our application. Why XSLT? Because it is so easy to create XSL-FO from it and render it to a nice PDF or HTML page. No input there either.

4. If you take a look at FXSL you will see a lot of math there that does not require any input XML. It even has a random generator!

5. Most of my other transformations transform non-XML documents into XML. To do this, the XSLT is run without input document (-it for Saxon to start an initial template). The documents are read in with unparsed-text(). However, I do consider this input, albeit not XML.

I believe one can sail without wind, when you use a motorboat ;)

-- Abel

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.