[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: finding position() in xpath 1.0

Subject: Re: finding position() in xpath 1.0
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:22:43 +0100
Re:  finding position() in xpath 1.0
Frank Marent wrote:
david, abel

I think I mis read your requirement. the code I posted works so long as
there is at most one node with test="yes. If you have multiple such
nodes and need to select the preceding cousin of all of them,
Then...

//CELL[@test='yes']/../preceding-sibling::ROW[1]/CELL[position()=count(../following-sibling::ROW[1]/CELL[@test='yes']/preceding-sibling::CELL)+1]

it's always a good feeling among xml-giants... i was posting the point you've detected yourself - and abel. your statement reads for me like:

//CELL[@test='yes']magic()/but()/it()/works()/halleluja()/preceding-sibling::CELL)+1]

:))

Note that I tried to correct David with removing the '+1' with a self-test. But that's not needed. David's last solution is perfect and comes down to about the same I invented (it almost looked like David and I were in the same room: even the sample input and test template about matched!), but mine is a bit overly complicated.

(the reason that you can use +1 safely is that you are already walking from the path CELL[@test='yes'], which means that once the path matches, you are certain the +1 is correct)

About the 'magic', I usually do a mind-treewalk while dissecting a path. I imaging being some place on the XML tree and then walk the steps I wrote down in the XPath. Then suddenly the 'magic' goes and it all seems so logical.

Cheers,
-- Abel

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.