[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Using xsl:output in browsers, was: Re XHTML

Subject: Re: Using xsl:output in browsers, was: Re XHTML html validation
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 22:47:42 +0100
Re:  Using xsl:output in browsers
Houghton,Andrew wrote:
One additional point I would make about IE6. If you use xsl:output with an method="xml" attribute, then also add an omit-xml-declaration="yes" attribute. IE6 has a known
bug where it has problems with an XML declaration for an
XHTML document. According to the XML specification the
XML declaration *can be* omitted for an XML document. I believe this issue was fixed in IE7.

I fear there is a little misunderstanding here about what 'output' actually is. Output in XSLT parlor is about how some internal representation of a result tree is serialized into some physical representation of the same. Some parts cannot be represented in this internal representation, which are, among others, the doctype, the xml declaration and the encoding. All this does not matter internally.

When doing transformations in browsers, serializing is not possible (not directly from XSLT that is). However, apparently the browser vendors have decided to act differently on the chosen output method, even though they may as well skip it. The results of this were in my previous mail.

When doing any kind of transformation brower-side, the meaning of omit-xml-declaration is oblivious. However, when you do some XML transformation server side (or offside), and you return the resulting serialized XML to the browser, Andrew's statement above is correct.
For all browsers: when you use a user defined output method, you receive an error. When you do not specify an output method, it is XML (as it should). If you specify an encoding: don't. All browsers support UTF-8 internally, there is no use whatsoever to limit your resulting characters, possibly resulting in erroneous or unexpected behavior.

Not quite sure this statement is true based on my experience with
IE6 and IE7. I have never received an error when specifying an
xsl:output statement with IE6 or IE7, however IE6 and IE7 do expect
the output of the transform to be UTF-16, otherwise you may have issues with diacritics. Something I recently helped a colleague work through while he was developing a cross browser XSLT.

I'm sorry, but this is simply not true. The browsers, including IE versions, do not 'expect' any encoding. They keep the resulting tree as a DOM object, which is, in the case of IE6, stored internally in UCS-2 (the predecessor of UTF-16). But this is only interesting when you want to use characters above U+FFFF. I'm not entirely certain, but I believe this was fixed since Windows XP (IE uses the underlying windows system for handling strings).

I agree with Abel, you should only be using UTF-8 or UTF-16 for
output documents. Not sure why people still insist on using
ISO-8859* or Windows-* character sets when UTF-8 and UTF-16 are required support for all XML parsers and they are widely supported
by many other tools.

The only difference you may encounter, is that when you do serialize the resulting DOM object using JavaScript as a string, that you see more entity references. However, the containing page encoding will supersede any encoding you choose inside XSLT. And when dealing with the strings (without printing them in some textbox), they of course do not contain entities but sequences of unicode codepoints.

In short: the encoding attribute is ignored.

-- Abel Braaksma

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.