[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: testing for position of an element and displaying

Subject: Re: testing for position of an element and displaying it accordingly
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:49:02 -0600
Re:  testing for position of an element and displaying
That was only a typo here. Do you have any other ideas or suggestions
? please let em knwo

On 1/22/07, Mark Carlson <carlsonm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
For one, your <fo:inline> elements are not closed in the bottom 3
template rules.

ms wrote: > Hello: > > I have tried to implement this solution but I dont > know where I am going wrong. Here is my complete code: > > This template is used for formatting. > <xsl:template name="lists"> > <xsl:param name="format"/> > <fo:list-block> > <fo:list-item> > <fo:list-item-label> > <xsl:choose> > <xsl:when test="$format = '1'"> > <fo:block> > <fo:inline> > <xsl:number format="1"/>.</fo:inline> > </fo:block> > </xsl:when> > </xsl:choose> > </fo:list-item-label> > <fo:list-item-body start-indent="body-start()" > end-indent="0pt"> > <fo:block> > <xsl:apply-templates> > > </xsl:apply-templates> > </fo:block> > </fo:list-item-body> > </fo:list-item> > </fo:list-block> > </xsl:template> > > > This template calls the above template for formatting: > > <xsl:template match="r1"> > <xsl:if test="child::a"> > <xsl:apply-templates select="a" mode="t"/> > </xsl:if> > > <xsl:call-template name="lists"> > <xsl:with-param > name="format">1</xsl:with-param> > </xsl:call-template> > </xsl:template> > > This is the template for element a which is a child of > <r1>. > > <xsl:template match="a" mode="t"> > <fo:block space-before="6pt"> > <fo:inline><xsl:value-of select="."/> > </fo:block> > </xsl:template> > > <xsl:template match="a"> > <fo:block space-before="6pt"> > <fo:inline><xsl:value-of select="."/> > </fo:block> > </xsl:template> > > <xsl:template match="text"> > <fo:block space-before="6pt"> > <fo:inline><xsl:apply-templates/> > </fo:block> > </xsl:template> > > > And my Input is: > <r1> > <a>test</a> > <a>test2</a> > <text>test test</text> > <a>test3</a> > </r1> > > My desired output is: > > test > test2 > 1. test test > test3 > > > The reason for checking if <a> is a child of <r1> and > applying the mode is so that this <a> appears above > <r1> without getting formatted as 1. test > > So even though <r1> element is formatted to be 1., any > <a> element which appear immediately after <r1> should > not be formatted. If there is an <a> element after > some other element like in this example <text>, then > it should be displayed as it is in the document tree. > > Please let me know if this is clear and if there is a > way to do it and if there is amistake in my code. > > --- ms <mina_hurray@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > >> Hello: >> >> I did see the axis specifier thread on this list, >> unfortunately it is not me, but I am facing a >> similar >> issue. I tried to implement the solutions given in >> those, but I was not successful and thats te reason >> for posting this issue. >> >> >> --- Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: >> >>> I assume you're the same person as xslt.new who >>> posted "axis specifiers" >>> last week (if not, it's a remarkable that you have >>> exactly the same problem >>> and the same misunderstandings). >>> >>> We need to go back a step. You haven't understood >> a >>> word of the explanations >>> we gave you last week. Giving you the same >>> explanations again isn't going to >>> do much good. I'm really trying hard to read your >>> postings and work out >>> which step in the learning process you've got >> stuck >>> on, but I'm struggling. >>> >>> The normal way of processing an XML document is to >>> work top-down. First, you >>> have to think of the document as a tree, with the >>> root at the top (strange >>> in botany, but not in computing). The document >> node >>> itself is at the top, >>> then the r1 element, and (a,a,b,a) are below the >> r1 >>> element, at the next >>> level down (I stress this because you talk of >> test3 >>> as being "below" b, >>> which means you're not yet thinking in tree >> terms). >>> So top down processing >>> means you write a template rule for r1, which >>> typically applies templates to >>> each of its children. You then define template >> rules >>> for each kind of child. >>> >>> This works when the rules for an element are >>> independent of where it appears >>> relative to other elements at the same level. For >>> example, if every a >>> element is processed by converting the <a> tag to >> a >>> <p>, then you can write >>> a template rule >>> >>> <xsl:template match="a"> >>> <p><xsl:apply-templates/></p> >>> </xsl:template> >>> >>> Similarly, if every b is processed by outputting a >>> <p> but with a sequence >>> number attached, you can write >>> >>> <xsl:template match="b"> >>> <p><xsl:number/>: <xsl:apply-templates/></p> >>> </xsl:template> >>> >>> Now, your input and your processing seems to >> follow >>> this conventional style. >>> As far as we can see, you've got a perfectly >>> straightforward easy >>> transformation to do here that yields to the basic >>> techniques in chapter 1 >>> of any textbook, and we can't see why you're >> making >>> it so difficult. >>> >>> Michael Kay >>> http://www.saxonica.com/ >>> >>> >>> >>>> -----Original Message----- >>>> From: ms [mailto:mina_hurray@xxxxxxxxx] >>>> Sent: 19 January 2007 14:58 >>>> To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >>>> Subject: testing for position of an >> element >>> and >>>> displaying it accordingly >>>> >>>> Hi all: >>>> >>>> My input XML looks like this; >>>> >>>> <r1> >>>> <a>test</a> >>>> <a>test2</a> >>>> <b>test test</b> >>>> <a>test3</a> >>>> </r1> >>>> >>>> For this XML, I would like to write an XSLT >> which >>> basically >>>> achieves the following: >>>> >>>> 1) For the <a> elements which are above the <b> >>> element, they >>>> should be displayed this way: >>>> >>>> Test >>>> Test2 >>>> 1)test test >>>> >>>> 2) For the <a> element which appears after the >> <b> >>> element, I >>>> want it displayed after the <b> element: >>>> >>>> Test >>>> Test2 >>>> 1)test test >>>> test3 >>>> >>>> How can I achieve this in XSLT? I tried testing >>> the >>>> position, using position()=1. This works >> obviously >>> for the >>>> first <a> element and fails for the second one. >>>> >>>> Please let me know if this is possible? >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> > ______________________________________________________________ >>>> ______________________ >>>> Do you Yahoo!? >>>> Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail >>> beta. >>>> http://new.mail.yahoo.com >>> >>> >> >> >> >> > ____________________________________________________________________________________ >> Need a quick answer? Get one in minutes from people >> who know. >> Ask your question on www.Answers.yahoo.com >> >> > > > > > ____________________________________________________________________________________ > Yahoo! Music Unlimited > Access over 1 million songs. > http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.