[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Newbie ? - dynamic linking two xslt templates

Subject: Newbie ? - dynamic linking two xslt templates
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 12:58:08 -0400
jeremy patterson
I'm creating a webpage for a high school that lists the student's homework assignments. I used xslt/xml solution because it had to be a somewhat dynamic solution, would not tax the server, and be easily managed. The department head wants the site to be more in depth, where a student would select the teacher's name on a webpage and the student would be taken to a teacher page listing the assignments for that particular teacher.

I believe xslt/xml solution is still the best way to do this. I have come up with two xslt templates, one listing all the teachers(teacher directory), and another that generates the teacher's webpage based on a variable that is passed into xslt template. The teacher directory webpage will trigger the teacher xslt and pass a teacher's name, thus creating the teacher webpage. They are both generated from the same xml document, that will be updated by a web form (it's not their yet).

The problem I have is generating the dynamic link that will trigger the teacher xslt template. I have very limited experience with xml/xslt, I have always embedded the xslt page in the xml document like this:
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="xslTemplate.xsl"?>

I don't think this is going to work because I'm using two different xslt templates. I also have no idea on how I would write the link to the teacher template, I would imagine the link would be the same, but I would just be passing a different value to the parameter in the teacher xslt. I have always just linked to the xml page which would trigger the xslt, but I don't think I can do that because I have two xslt templates working off the xml document.

This has to be a simple solution. I'm using Jenni Tennison's "Beginning XSLT 2.0" for reference. It has helped immensely in suggesting I compile through saxon, so I can view output. I'm hung up on creating the dynamic links that will link the two xslt templates together.

Jeremy

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.