[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Good Design Rules?

Subject: Re: Good Design Rules?
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 10:36:09 +0200
good design rules
It's funny you mention this.

About a year ago I was busy setting something up: a Wiki about best practices and how to understand Haskell, XSLT and Prolog and several other non-imperative languages from the point of view of imperative languages. Mainly, because that's the background most people have (like Java, C, VB etc) and because the functional aspects of XSLT and the logic of Haskell and Prolog were giving me headaches.

I imagined other people struggling the same way when trying about. And somehow I figured that a lot of people eventually find the learning curve too steep and drop xslt or the likes altogether. Which is a pity. In my search for good "best practices" I didn't find any (though a very helpful Cookbook from O'Reilly got me a long way), so I started my own. My only problem back then: I didn't have enough experience to really write such a thing.

Now it is offline (iwhile it was online I never made it "googleable"). What I can do in the next week or so is putting online again what I had achieved so far and, with permission of course, merge some postings of xsl list and dpawson into best practices. The rest should be easy: I use WikiMedia software and all that interested people should do is help the site to become more useful, more informative, more correct and, definitely, bigger.

Now that I hear you talk about this, and now that I have some more experience with XSLT, I'd be most happy to take this initiative alive again. If anybody is interested, or even remotely enthusiastic about it, I know I definitely should ;)

Cheers to you all!
Abel

Phillip B Oldham wrote:

Hi all

In a recent thread, Andew Welch provided me with a couple of good design
rules/tips for working with xsl.

I was wondering whether these rules/tips have been logged anywhere for
prosperity? Is there a wiki somewhere where people can supply these
rules/tips, along with tutorials to help newbies get going? I personally
learned from w3schools and dpawson.co.uk, and while they're great
resources, they don't really capture those bits of knowledge you only
get from experience. For other languages there are lots of "best
practices" guides, but I've not come across anything for xsl.

So, if there is already such a resource, please can you point me in the
right direction? And if not, would anybody be willing to contribute to
one if I set it up?

Thanks guys!

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.