[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: A Place for Off-Topic Discussions

Subject: Re: A Place for Off-Topic Discussions
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 07:40:45 -0700
off topic discussions
Couple of updates: It seems that, in fact, the mail system still isn't working correctly. For now I have set things up such that it will do an immediatte validation of your email using the standard "HELO" type check. I have manually approved the accounts of those folks who had troubles before now. Hopefully this will be enough and we can happily move forward. We'll see if that proves to be true.

There are two forum discussions I have started, and to keep true to the policy of starting here on XSL-List, and then moving on from there, I will start two separate threads, and point directly a the forums they relate to. The primary purpose in forcing this requirement is three fold:

* To keep XSL-List the primary focal point
* To ensure that those folks in whom wish to discuss the suggested topic can be informed through the channels they are already subscribed to (in this case, XSL-List) and as such do not have to make an extra effort to subscribe to yet another notification system that they may or may not have interest in (pertaining to the topic @ hand)
* To ensure that those folks searching the XSL-List archives can take notice of topics they may have interest in, and easily locate the forum in which these conversations have or are continuing to take place.

I will start these two topics, and point to the forum for each next.

M. David Peterson wrote:

Hey Folks,

[Dimitre Novatchev] > I guess that by now Tommie's got uncomfortable about the relevance of this thread -- let's therefore move it off-list.

That's an interesting speaking point, as a few days ago I emailed Tommie and asked her how she felt in regards to an idea of creating an off-topic forum in which conversations like this could be moved when it seems they have gone a bit too far off the primary focus of XSL-List. Overall, she liked the idea, and as such I am now announcing the set-up of just such a forum.

You can find this @ http://forum.xsltransformations.com

Couple of speaking points:

* XSL-List is where *ALL* traffic needs to start.
* If at some point during the course of a conversation it seems like things have gone a bit off-topic and its time to move the discussions off-list, only then should this take place. In other words, to exist there, it needs to start here.

The software I have chosen to use for this project is the UNB forums software, which allows the ability to add Jabber notifications when someone has responded to a thread you have set to receive notifications for. To be honest, I have no idea how well it works. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

I think that if we keep ourselves in check, this could turn into a nice enhancement to our community as a whole. If, however, this becomes the XSL-Jerry Springer extension project, I reserve the right to take necessary actions (boot your account from the forum, boot the forum topic off the forum, shut the entire thing down all together, etc...) to ensure this doesn't continue forward in ANY capacity. While I wan't this to become a successful extension to XSL-List, and and enhancement to the community as a whole, if it proves otherwise I will simply pull the plug. I plan to take the advice of several key community members, especially Tommie, in monitoring how things move forward and what actions need to be taken to ensure this stays within the confines outline above.

One last thing: You will need to register with your email address before you can start using the forums. There were some earlier problems with this, but *I THINK* I have them fixed. If that is not the case, please send me a message off-line, and I will look into getting things fixed.

With that, enjoy!

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.