[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Comparing XML, xsl:normalize-space and schemaTron

Subject: Comparing XML, xsl:normalize-space and schemaTron
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 15:14:09 +0000
xsl normalize
Slightly confused about using normalize-space.

If I have the following XML instance document (notice the spaces) :-

<compare>
	<compareWith>   A</compareWith>
	<comparisonValues>
		<value>B</value>
		<value>   A   </value>
		<value>A </value>
	</comparisonValues>
</compare>

and I use this expression :-

normalize-space(/compare/comparisonValues/value[3]) = normalize-space(/compare/compareWith)

the result is true.

If I remove [3] it is an error ('too many items')

if I remove normalize-space and [3] from the LHS, the result is false.

and if I remove spaces from the final comparisonValues/value in the XML, the result is true

This seems OK (although it would be nice if I *could* use normalize-space on all of the nodes returned)

What I'm trying to do here to to compare the value in 1 node (compareWith) with all of the nodes within another node-set (comparisonValues/value) and, in the real example the node values I'm comparing will also be a >1, that is, I want to compare each value in node-set 1 to see it it matches any of the values in node set 2 and continue on until all of the nodes in node-set 1 have been checked (the real example is also comparing across 2 documents but I wanted to keep the example simple).

The catch is, I can't use a for-each !!! (so can it be done using apply/call-template ?)

Why not, well I'm implementing this in XSLT schemaTron 1.5 and I don't think its possible to express what I want using the rule (turns into template match='') and assertions (turn into 'choose'). The reference schemaTron only really uses call-template (and apply-templates). I suppose I could re-write the implementation but I'd rather not.

I like schemaTron, and I especially like the way that I can express the rules and assertions in an implementation neutral (ish) way. So I don't want to start extending the schemaTron vocabulary too much and loose that abstraction (that is, I *could* extend schemaTron (in places where it is allowed) to provide a pseudo for-each, but I really don't want to go there for a whole bunch of reasons not least of which that the portability of my rules would then be severely constrained).

I have also tried (successfully) using xsl:key + the key() function to create a set of the values in 1 document and then, using key(), check whether the value of a node in the other document exists in that set. This worked and I was able to do the compare using normalized-space values, but I am a bit wary of whether this approach is costly in terms of performance - can anyone comment ??

Anyway, having seem what I'm trying to acheive and what technologies I hoping to use, can anyone suggest some ideas that might move me on to the next stage.

Thanks

Fraser.

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.