[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

XSLT 2.0 Is Way Cool

Subject: XSLT 2.0 Is Way Cool
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 10:14:05 -0500
cool xslt
After a period of serious doubt about XSLT 2 and it's advantages over XSLT 1.0, driven largely by concerns about the implications of schema-aware processing and datatypes, I must say that I am now firmly convinced of the value of XSLT 2.

One thing I realized is that the datatyping stuff is only an issue if you do schema-aware XSLT processing. But for a lot of stuff you don't need schema awareness so it's not an issue. In particular, processing schema-based documents does not necessarily imply schema-aware XSLT processing (but it does enable it).[1]

Here at Innodata we've started working on a project that involves XSLT-based data processing that is much more involved than our typical work-a-day techdoc-to-FO transforms. We made an engineering decision to use XSLT 2 and I'm glad we did. The new features in XSLT 2 have made many difficult problems so much easier.

I must also congratulate both the XSLT committee and the editorial team for producing a clear, easy-to-understand, and easy-to-use specification. I've had little difficulty coming up to speed on the new features of XSLT, many of which are quite sophisticated and non-obvious, using just the specifications involved (although I have to admit that the regular expression stuff in the schema spec is a little harder to follow, but that's a side effect of the need for precision--it's not intended to be a tutorial).

In particular, I'm finding that the for-each-group, namespace aliasing, and string handling features are making many problems much much easier than they were with 1.0. In addition, the ability to create XSLT functions makes it easier to have a more object-oriented style of code without limiting your XSLT to a single or small set of engines, as was the case with XSLT 1. In addition, the new concept of sequence constructors in XSLT 2 makes many operations, especially in the context of functions, much clearer and more reliable.

The for-each-group stuff is just brilliant. I didn't really appreciate just how powerful it was until I started using it. For example, here's a script that uses for-each-group to report the set of unique element types used in a document:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="2.0"
>

<xsl:template match="/">
   <xsl:message>
     Unique Element Types:

</xsl:message>
<xsl:for-each-group select="//*"
group-by="name()"
>
<xsl:sort select="name()"/>
<xsl:message><xsl:value-of select="current-grouping-key()"/></xsl:message>
</xsl:for-each-group>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

I think that's pretty cool (not the script, but the fact that you can do this with such little code).

Anyway, my hat is off to the XSLT 2 Working Group and my thanks go out to implementors of XSLT 2 engines, especially Mike Kay for Saxon 8.

Cheers,

Eliot
-----
[1]Schema-aware XSLT processing is *not* the same as applying an XSLT to a schema-based document where the document is validated on input to the XSLT. In this case, the XML processor validates the document against its schema and augments the info set passed to the XSLT engine to reflect things like schema-defined default values, but the XSLT engine will still treat all attribute values and element content as the generic "any type". It's only in the case where the XSLT processor *also* accesses the schema in order to determine the full datatype of attributes and content that you can get weirdness in your XSLT as a result of values being returned as types you didn't expect. The implication here is that you either write an XSLT script as completely schema unaware or as completely schema aware and make sure you configure your XSLT processor appropriately.
--
W. Eliot Kimber
Professional Services
Innodata Isogen
9390 Research Blvd, #410
Austin, TX 78759
(512) 372-8155

ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.innodata-isogen.com

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.