[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Optimization Question

Subject: Re: Optimization Question
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 06:42:50 -0800
Re:  Optimization Question
Michael Kay wrote:
Have you tried XSLTC. This basically allows you to apply a compiled
form of your stylesheet in your transformations. Both xalan and saxon ship with XSLT compilers.

I'm asked occasionally whether I plan to do a Saxon compiler - more strictly, a bytecode generator. At present, I don't: I think it would slow down the rate of progress on the product considerably, if only because code generators are notoriously hard to debug. I prefer to spend the effort on improving the query execution strategies, which can produce much bigger potential savings. In any case, I think that for most people memory is more of a constraint than processing speed.

I think this is a good idea. I usually run my app with Saxon and Xalan interpretive(?). I occasioanlly run it also with XSLTC and Resin's compiling processor (which requires much less memory and is the fastest). I really wish I could use a compiling processor (especially resin), but I always fallback to Saxon (its small and fast enough) because it just works and there is always some little problem I run into with compiling processors.

best,
-Rob

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.