[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: case-sensitivity in xml

Subject: Re: case-sensitivity in xml
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:39:14 +0000
xsl case
Hi

then translate($string,$UPPER,$lower) will convert to lower case (at least in the English/Latin alphabet).

Case-folding element and attribute names in an instance could be done with a modified identity transform and the xsl:element instruction. (Ask again if these hints are not enough to get you there.)

Forgive me for being a novice in XSLT programming but given a case where I want to determine the existence of a @name='Abc' where $prime='ABC' (as shown below)
----------------------------
<xsl:variable name="prime" select="document('result.xml')/Top/PrimeConcept"/>
<xsl:if test="@name = $prime">
<xsl:value-of select="@name"/>
</xsl:if>
</xsl:variable>
---------------------------
would I need to first declare some <xsl:variable> to convert both @name and $name to either UPPER or lower-case and then compare them? Would there not be an inconsistency with its representation in their respective xml documents then? I'm not entirely clear of how the XML file will 'communicate' with the XSL file given that Ive changed the case of an element/attribute.

Im finding the dynamic assigning and traversing process in XSL very confusing as well. Is there a logical way of traversing through a tree to determine the grandchild of an element albeit indirectly. So I know that my XML file is as below

-----------------------
<DEFCONCEPT id="10180" name="Car">
<PARENT>
<CONCEPT name="Automobile" ref="10181"/>
</PARENT>
<CHILD>
<CONCEPT name="Toyota" ref="10235"/>
</CHILD>
</DEFCONCEPT >
<DEFCONCEPT id="10235" name="Toyota">
<PARENT>
<CONCEPT name="Car" ref="10180"/>
</PARENT>
<CHILD>
<CONCEPT name="Corolla" ref="10279"/>
</CHILD>
</DEFCONCEPT >
<DEFCONCEPT id="10279" name="Corolla">
<PARENT>
<CONCEPT name="Toyota" ref="10235"/>
</PARENT>
</DEFCONCEPT >
-----------------------
and I want to reach the <DEFCONCEPT name="Corolla"> from the node <DEFCONCEPT name="Car"> because I have a query to determine the existence of a kind_of Car 'Corolla' irrespective of the case in which it has been written and where in the hierarchy it exists. Will this be possible using XSL?

Would appreciate comments on this.

Regards
Rahil

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.