[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Named character references (Was: preseving character

Subject: Named character references (Was: preseving character entities)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:27:32 +0100
character reference
(LIGHTBULB)

Rereading the (previous) thread, I re-noticed Davids remark that the term "named character references" came from the SGML world.

I was confused about it the first time as I _really_ thought that I had just read the term (literally minutes ago) on the HTML 4 rec page and had seen use of the term in the way I intended on mailing lists before. But I must punish myself for having misread the HTML rec on entities as it is talking about "named character _entities_" and the users on those mailing list that used that term wrongly should be punished for misleading me. 8|

Scrolling down the Google search result, I notice a remark about SGML named character references being things like &#SPACE;. David, if you just would have said that the term I used was referring to those kind of thing (by example), I wouldn't have been puzzled that much and wouldn't have had to bother you about it.. :P

As I wanted to achieve terminology that clearly define what one means, irrespectively whether a person is talking about SGML, XML, HTML or XHTML, I conclude this was not a good proposal. Even though, as David more or less sais himself, the SGML term is not commenly used these days any more and the actual confusion I caused in his mind (and would cause in mine from now on) is not likely to occur in minds of people who are not familiar with SGML. ;)

But after this lengthy thread, there still remain (official) terms that cause confusion as well. :-S

The actual point I tried to make is that people are using the official terms not very carefully and what I intended with my proposal was to encourage a more explicit way of telling what you mean. So instead of saying "entity reference", one could say "named character entity" (not "reference" ;) and instead of "character reference", one could say "numeric character reference". It is unlikely that people mistake the words 'named' and 'numeric', so if in future a person would start talking about 'numeric character entities', it is still clear that the person is actually talking about character references. While if a person posts a message to this list and starts talking about "character entities", at least a hand full of us gets confused whether he really means entities or (numeric) character references...

Phew.. Now I can finally sleep again... ;)

By the way, I don't recall the initial poster to have clearified himself on his meaning. Though I suspect that he meant character references as he seemed (more or less) happy with the us-ascii solution...

Cheers, Geert

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.