[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Re: "FLAT" XML to Hierarchical XML

Subject: RE: Re: "FLAT" XML to Hierarchical XML
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:19:18 -0400
hierarchical xml
I don't see a customer id element or attribute in the sample source XML you provided. How will you uniquely identify each customer?
--
Charles Knell
cknell@xxxxxxxxxx - email

-----Original Message-----
Sent:     Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:50:09 -0400
To:       xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Re:  "FLAT" XML to Hierarchical XML

well, to be honest I am a newbie here (Like you couldn't tell that), and I'm using VB.NET (please don't make too much fun of me). I'm honestly not sure what a .NET DataSet would do with that, and regardless when I dump these in my database I need to associate a CustomerID to an Order and an OrderID to each LineItem. Your format will work fine for me as long as I'm able to add a unique orderID (I suppose that that is given to me in the original XML file though), and a unique customerID.

*Brandon Schenz*
Midwest Sports Supply
Phone: 513-956-4900
Fax: 513-956-4910
E-mail: brandons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cknell@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I don't see the hierarchy in the output you say you want. All the customers are in one element, all the orders are in a sibling element, and all the order details go into a third sibling. Is this really the format you want? When you said you wanted to make the format hierarchical, I imagined that you wanted to group all the items by order and all the orders by customer, something like this:

<customer>
 <orders>
   <order>
     <line-item></line-item>
   </order>
 </orders>
</customer>

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.