[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: dynamically applying templates

Subject: Re: dynamically applying templates
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:15:54 -0400
xsl temporary tree
Hi Bruce,

At 03:30 PM 9/15/2004, you wrote:
MODS doesn't really have explicit typing, so the function does the typing. It says, in really simplistic terms, if the record has two titles and is issued once, it's a chapter; if only one title, it's a book. That way, even those things that aren't technically chapters or books but have the same characteristics get formatted fairly accurately.

This strikes me as strange, since I'd hardly think machine heuristics could be trusted to decide what a thing "is"; but if that's the way MODS works and if formatting is in actuality more an expression of the structure of the record than of the ontological status of what it refers to, I suppose I'm not one to complain.... :->

I'm not really sure the implications of that for the templates; it sounds like you're suggesting it'd be easiest to have a fixed list of "types" and have a bunch of templates like the below, where mods:type is created in the temporary tree?

<xsl:template match="mods:mods[mods:type='book']">

If your mods data is created in a temporary tree and you can provide this, yes certainly, it would do nicely.

(Of course in the XSLT you might just match on mods:mods, and that @type would be used only for the dynamic delegation of logic to the appropriate configuration node.)

As for a fixed list of types, I think that's more or less inevitable, though certainly the list can and should be extensible, and a fallback "catchall" type should also be available for when data coming in corresponds to no known type at all.

Regards,
Wendell

======================================================================
Wendell Piez                            mailto:wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.                http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9635
Suite 207                                          Phone: 301/315-9631
Rockville, MD  20850                                 Fax: 301/315-8285
----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in SGML and XML
======================================================================

--+------------------------------------------------------------------ XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list To unsubscribe, go to: http://lists.mulberrytech.com/xsl-list/ or e-mail: <mailto:xsl-list-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> --+--

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.