[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: Javascript in Xsl using-Xalan-Problem

Subject: Re: Javascript in Xsl using-Xalan-Problem
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 16:04:45 -0400
xalan regexp
David,

Thanks again. I didn't really like the fact that the MSXML script extension was a vendor-specific work-around thus could be dropped at any time, and now that the xsl:script element has been dropped from the spec its even worse. My package is being converted completely to Java so adding saxon7.jar to the classpath is not a big deal.

My main concern with XSLT 2.0 is how well it can be maintained by someone else on the project team. With XSLT 1.0 we could just get the newcomers to buy Mr. Kay's book. The HTML documentation that comes with Saxon is a good reference but is not a tutorial. This is an argument for using JavaScript - its easier to understand and modify for a VB programmer than XSL.

Barry

M. David Peterson wrote:

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the clarification. Your problem is pretty straight forward and in fact can be done fairly easily in XSLT 1.0. But you are correct in your assumption that 2.0 would be a much more complete and straight forward solution. If for no other reason (and there are plenty) the regex implementation in 2.0 gives you the much needed ability to do complex string matching that, while possible in 1.0, is more complex to implement than is worth the effort.

<M:D/>

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.