[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

RE: Advice/feedback on stylesheet?

Subject: RE: Advice/feedback on stylesheet?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:13:58 -0500
jim stoll
Hi M. David,
Thanks for your reply and example - I look forward to seeing your site! (and I'm glad that I could provide some input to your site, even if in a wholly passive manner... :-)

I definitely learned some things from your response (and am still contemplating a few of them) - I especially like the possibilites associated with building a temporary tree and of using the mode attribute of the select and match conditions - that's a new technique to me and looks to have a lot of very cool uses!  Are there any concerns/drawbacks of taking this type of approach when working with large sets of data? (ie, would memory/resource use possibly be a problem?)

As regards the original problem itself, what I'm trying to do is to provide a generic stylesheet that users can apply to any set of data resulting from a particular type of database query - I'm using Oracle 9.1, which allows hierarchical relational queries (ie, the relational data can be meaningfully represented hierarchically, via level and heritage (specifically, parent) data), and which allows xml-conversion of relational data, but that unfortunately 'flattens' the hierarchical relational data in the process of converting that relational data to XML.  So, in order to do this, I need to have the 'utility' elements that I identified (LEVEL_, ROWID_ and PARENTROWID_ - that establish the depth/heritage in the hierarchy [sidebar: in all actuality, I just need to identify those that are top-level and those that aren't - which now occurs to me that I could do simply based on the presence/absence of a PARENTROWID_ element - but Oracle's CONNECT BY query produces a 'level' value t!
 hat fits the bill nicely] and then I want to be able to generically 're-constitute' the hierarchical nature of _any_ data that is generated via the CONNECT BY (herarchical relational) query (but that is subsequently squashed flat by the XML conversion process).  Thus, I can't reference 'data' elements in the stylesheet (like NODE, SRCD, etc), as I don't know what those will actually be in the generic/runtime use of the stylesheet - I can only rely on the presence of these 'utility' elements that I have predicated as requirements for anyone wishing to use this 'reconstitution' service.

So, any further info/advice that you can provide in the context of this generic/service approach to the problem would be most welcome!

Thanks for the help!!

Jim

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.