[XSL-LIST Mailing List Archive Home] [By Thread] [By Date] [Recent Entries] [Reply To This Message]

Re: is there any tool that automatically generates XSL

Subject: Re: is there any tool that automatically generates XSLT?
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:13:04 -0500
automatically generate xslt
At 2004-02-17 03:27 +0000, Donal Regan wrote:
Does anyone know of any tool out there that can
automatically generate the required XSLT if it is
given a sample input file and output file?

I think that's the same as asking "is there a tool that looks at my data and my output and writes a C program to produce it?" ... if such a tool existed there would be a lot of people out of work!

But, if you asked "is there a tool that will generate an XSLT stylesheet from an annotated output file where the annotations reflect properties of the input file?", there is a partially-developed free resource on our web site called "LiterateXSLT" that does just that.

I experimented with the concept to write the UBL 0.70 XSLT stylesheets for XSL-FO: I created the XSL-FO output first, then annotated it in a private namespace with information about the source file, pressed the button and out came an XSLT stylesheet that worked with any XML input file that matched the annotations. I shipped those XSLT stylesheets unaltered because they were sufficiently detailed and structured to be standalone stylesheets.

I say "partially developed" because when I went to generalize what worked for me for UBL to a truly general solution, I hit a brick wall on the rationalization of concatenated XPath location path expressions due to the limitation of the first step of a location path. I'm thinking that with XSLT 2 LiterateXSLT probably could become a truly generalized solution for annotating candidate results and synthesizing XSLT stylesheets.

I don't have the time or the problems to solve needed to progress the experimentation into anything of production quality.

I've released the first version of LiterateXSLT as a free resource under the modified BSD license, so you can download it and play with it if you want.

I hope this helps.

...................... Ken

--
Public courses: upcoming world tour of hands-on XSL training events
Each week:    Monday-Wednesday: XSLT/XPath; Thursday-Friday: XSL-FO
Washington, DC: 2004-03-15            San Francisco, CA: 2004-03-22
Hong Kong: 2004-05-17    Germany: 2004-05-24    England: 2004-06-07
World-wide on-site corporate, government & user group XML training!

G. Ken Holman                  mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.           http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0     +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
Male Breast Cancer Awareness   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc

XSL-List info and archive: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list

Current Thread

PURCHASE STYLUS STUDIO ONLINE TODAY!

Purchasing Stylus Studio from our online shop is Easy, Secure and Value Priced!

Buy Stylus Studio Now

Download The World's Best XML IDE!

Accelerate XML development with our award-winning XML IDE - Download a free trial today!

Don't miss another message! Subscribe to this list today.
Email
First Name
Last Name
Company
Subscribe in XML format
RSS 2.0
Atom 0.3
Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Trademarks
Free Stylus Studio XML Training:
W3C Member
Stylus Studio® and DataDirect XQuery ™are products from DataDirect Technologies, is a registered trademark of Progress Software Corporation, in the U.S. and other countries. © 2004-2013 All Rights Reserved.